SATA-Raid linux install

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by cybereatl, Feb 14, 2006.

1. cybereatl

cybereatl Member

He folks, in a few day I saw a friend asking for some support about sata-raid and I wanted to tryed my self.

I got an AsRock AsRock P4VM800 and 1 Sata hard drive of 80Gb Raid utility is not configure yet, (I need minimun 2hdd's) but I got the windows driver and from there being able to load os, I got a 60Gb windows partition and 20 Gb partition for linux.

What's the deal?? am unable to tell linux to where to find or at least try to find driver that is on a floppy (for windows) I have send communication to vendor www.asrock.com to see if they have the driver or just si windows supported. I got error loading fedora's setup:

kernel panic "unable to mount VS" mount root fs on unknown-block (8,3)

And there sits there and do nothing, just have to reboot machine.

Any ideas??

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Most onboard sata controllers are not supported by the linux kernel yet. As far as i know only some pci sata controller cards from 3com and adaptec have linux drivers.

3. mphayesuk

mphayesuk Member HowtoForge Supporter

The kernel panic you have is from using kernel 2.6 if you want to start to use raid of any kind you must first use kernel 2.4.

4. cybereatl

cybereatl Member

Thanks for reply, I have called AsRock group in Taiwan and they told me that they don't test linux on their lab, but he refers me to www.viaarena.com so am in about to test, but also in the case that is not working from where I can get Kernel 2.4 ? what is kernel level on new installation of FC4 and how do I tell linux instalation to look for Raid Driver.

Thanks

5. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

Try
    Code:
    yum search kernel
    and check if a 2.4. kernel exists for Fedora Core 4.

It's a 2.6 kernel, you can check with
    Code:
    uname -a