Secondary DNS question

Discussion in 'Server Operation' started by Curtis Maurand, Oct 21, 2022.

1. Hello,
    I currently run a couple of ISPConfig servers. The first is running Devuan (Debian derivative without systemd) with PowerDNS. I chose ISPConfig, specifically, because it supports PowerDNS. I have a second running Debian and BIND on a VPS that strictly does secondary DNS for 3 VPS's running Plesk. Plesk uses rndc to update the running DNS servers. RNDC does live updates to BIND on the master and the slave without the need to restart the daemon. ISPConfig deposits a zone file and restarts the daemon. Sadly it pollutes the /etc/named folder with primary zones instead of putting them in a subfolder as it does with slaves. RNDC is pretty slick and works well. ISPConfig should be doing things this way. It could also do updates to PowerDNS by using pdnsutil the same way. pdnsutil It would make it much easier to support both. I digress.

BIND and PowerDNS can cooperate with the old fashioned way of setting up a secondary DNS by manually adding the zone to BIND without using the supermaster protocol. If I manually enter the secondary zone on the ISPConfig instance running on the Debian instance with BIND, will it clobber any secondary zones that Plesk has already pushed to the Debian instance by the Plesk masters or will it ignore already existing zones? If the answer is yes, then the workaround would be to bind BIND to a specific ip and add an ip, install powerdns and bind it to that ip address.
    Thanks in advance,
    Curtis