Segmentation fualt error during compile

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by kird03, Oct 10, 2005.

1. kird03

kird03 New Member

I have tried the forum search but did find only one hit, saying to remove all old data... (which I did several times already..

Sofar i succeeded:
    - tar xvfz ISPConfig*
    - cd install_ispconfig
    - /.setup

then the compile starts (I assume..) but it breaks off with following errors:
    Code:
    make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/bart/tmp/install_ispconfig/compile_aps/openssl-0.9.8/crypto/rc2'
    making all in crypto/rc4...
    make[2]: Entering directory `/home/bart/tmp/install_ispconfig/compile_aps/openssl-0.9.8/crypto/rc4'
    gcc -I.. -I../.. -I../../include -DOPENSSL_THREADS -D_REENTRANT -DDSO_DLFCN -DHAVE_DLFCN_H -mcpu=k6 -DL_ENDIAN -DTERMIO -O3 -fomit-frame-pointer -Wall -DOPENSSL_BN_ASM_PART_WORDS -DOPENSSL_IA32_SSE2 -DSHA1_ASM -DMD5_ASM -DRMD160_ASM -DAES_ASM   -c -o rc4_skey.o rc4_skey.c
    `-mcpu=' is deprecated. Use `-mtune=' or '-march=' instead.
    (cd asm; /usr/bin/perl5 rc4-586.pl elf -I.. -I../.. -I../../include -DOPENSSL_THREADS -D_REENTRANT -DDSO_DLFCN -DHAVE_DLFCN_H -mcpu=k6 -DL_ENDIAN -DTERMIO -O3 -fomit-frame-pointer -Wall -DOPENSSL_BN_ASM_PART_WORDS -DOPENSSL_IA32_SSE2 -DSHA1_ASM -DMD5_ASM -DRMD160_ASM -DAES_ASM > ../rx86-elf.s)
    /bin/sh: line 1: 14011 Segmentation fault      /usr/bin/perl5 rc4-586.pl elf -I.. -I../.. -I../../include -DOPENSSL_THREADS -D_REENTRANT -DDSO_DLFCN -DHAVE_DLFCN_H -mcpu=k6 -DL_ENDIAN -DTERMIO -O3 -fomit-frame-pointer -Wall -DOPENSSL_BN_ASM_PART_WORDS -DOPENSSL_IA32_SSE2 -DSHA1_ASM -DMD5_ASM -DRMD160_ASM -DAES_ASM >../rx86-elf.s
    make[2]: *** [rx86-elf.s] Fout 139
    make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/bart/tmp/install_ispconfig/compile_aps/openssl-0.9.8/crypto/rc4'
    make[1]: *** [subdirs] Fout 1
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/bart/tmp/install_ispconfig/compile_aps/openssl-0.9.8/crypto'
    make: *** [build_crypto] Fout 1
    ERROR: Could not make OpenSSL
    I''m kind of stuck here, re-installed and updated SLL to latested versions etc.
    I''m using Mandrive 2005LE (mandrake 10.2) with full development section installed..

anyone a clue?!

2. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

Either a hard disk failure (then get a new one...), or maybe an incompatible binary... I'm not quite sure what you can do about that...

3. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

If you dont get the segmentation fault always in the same step of the installation, it might be an issue with your RAM memory as well.

4. kird03

kird03 New Member

mm, is there a way to check the ram condition...
    the error occurs everytime at a different place.. but always when compiling openSSL

error messages are different, but mostly segmentation fault...

if someone knows a RAM check that works with mandriva... I would like to know! :)

thanxx sofar!

5. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Maybe Mandriva has a memtest option when you boot from the first bootable install CD / DVD. As far as i know the Boot CD's of the Debian and Redhat have such an option.

6. themachine

themachine New Member HowtoForge Supporter

MemTest86

I've had good luck with MemTest86...

http://www.memtest86.com

Throw it on a floppy or what have you and go to town.. should give you some idea. I also wouldn't leave out the cpu... compiling anything with choke on a faulty proc.

I would recommend attempting to compile something else as well... if it fails there then hardware is bout the only thing it could be.... download a linux kernel and compile it for the hell of it... see what happens.

7. kird03

kird03 New Member

something is wrong with the hardware.. I'll do the test somewhere in the near future.. but also another compile actions crashes!

strange thing however.. this install has served as an ADSL gateway for some months without crashes... only now.. I get troubles!

8. themachine

themachine New Member HowtoForge Supporter

Honesly, that isn't all too surprising... I don't imagine that there is much load on the CPU/RAM for gateway services. You could use a box with faulty proc or RAM and have it work flawless... its when you really stress the hardware that it will die.

Good luck!

9. Con Hennekens

Con Hennekens New Member

Hi,

I've been trying to install ISPConfig for over a few days now, and run into the same problem as desribed above. I tried a lot concerning the hardware issues mentioned. Changed harddrive, tried setups wit all different combinations of 2x 256 MB dimms, tried Ubunto as well as Suse10 and installed that both to the letter of the how-to.

The problem occurs each time in exactly the same time, always compiling OpenSSL. I tried the current version as well as the stable one. I only do not have a chance to try a completely different PC.

I think it's the best bet to give up now...

Con

I think it is save

10. falko

11. Con Hennekens

Con Hennekens New Member

That's pitifully not the case... I was testing on a old compaq Deskpro 400Mhz/512MB. I still have a 333Mhz board laying around somewhere. Maybe I'll give that a shot today or tomorrow. If the error Magically disappears I give it notice here.

Con

12. lerra

lerra New Member

I solved my problem! Tested with compule a kernel, worked. ln'd it so /usr/src/linux pointed to it (bercause system compilation needs system headers sometimes...) did not work, rebooted and did a full diskscan and then runned again and it worked. I installed gcc-3.4 too but dont think it was that one that solved it.

I'm running debian sarge 3.1

13. lerra

lerra New Member

Seams like found the error...I get some page fault error when i try to install from a ssh client but not local (using a uml to test the installation) thrue the console.
    Working on a sollution.

14. falko

You get errors when you try to install ISPConfig over SSH, but locally it works? :confused:

15. lerra

lerra New Member

seams like I solved my critical problem by incresing the RAM to the uml, only had 64 at the begining and increesed to 96 (not running a swap ether)

16. lerra

lerra New Member

Yes, coud be just me..

17. Con Hennekens

Con Hennekens New Member

The error in case here (see beginning of thread) is a compile error. Hard to believe that it could have something to do with SSH. In my case it it also happened during a local session. Ram also is no issue, I have 512MB in my box.

18. falko

Have you tried Memtest? http://www.howtoforge.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4048&postcount=6