Separate servers for smtp and imap

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by mentes, Nov 2, 2015.

1. mentes

mentes Member

I would like configure two independent servers for send mail and for receive mail, and manage the accounts with ISPConfig

One server with Dovecot for imap with e-mails received and sent, and another server for Postfix only for send e-mails

ISPConfig support this configuration?

I think a workaround, can be: Configure two servers in mirror and create DNS records:
    imap.server.tld
    smtp.server.tld

2. fbarcenas

fbarcenas Member

I think even though both servers could technically send and receive. Your DNS pointer would make the difference. It would be rare that you'd get a person using IMAP.server.tld for both sending a receiving.

I would set them up identically and use the separate DNS records as you have suggested. I mean if you really wanted to, you could always remove the unwanted ports from the firewall to achieve the effect you want. For example, on the IMAP.server.tld, I would remove port 25,587,etc. from the firewall config, and on SMTP.server.tld, I would remove the IMAP specific ports from the server firewall rules.

3. florian030

florian030 Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

Make sure, that you don´t use lda for the the postix-dovecot delivery. You must use lmtp.