Server Backup

Discussion in 'Server Operation' started by mphayesuk, Nov 11, 2005.

1. mphayesuk

mphayesuk Member HowtoForge Supporter

Ok I know that this topic has been covered and falko has posted links to guides... but they dont do what I want... What I plan to do is use Ghost 2003 to do a full system image to dvd's and then do a nightly backup of data to cd rw/r.

1) Is there a better solution to doing a full system image so that I can burn the image to dvd and then be able to restore from those images. The guides talk about backing up to remote servers which I dont have.

2) Can you back user folders ect... to CD RW's and then reuse them

3) Can someone list all the folders that I would need to back up so that all I would need to do incase of a disaster is use the large DVD system image of the system and then use the latest CDRW/CDR and restore back the customer files and relevent configuration files.

Thanks

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

You can try e.g. partimage, i dont know if norton ghost supports all the different linux filesystems.

Use tar with options to preseve the owners and permissions (tar pcfz ....)

/var
    /etc
    /home

If you want to have a smaller backup you should exclude /var/log and /var/spool

3. mphayesuk

I assume that /root/ispconfig director never gets changed then, and so restoreing this from a system image will be fine.

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Yes. It changes only if you update ISPConfig.

5. mphayesuk

I have done a full image of the server using ghost 2003 which worked and tested with a full restore just to be sure, now for the daily backups this is what I thought of doing... very simple backup...

***************************************************************************************
    /etc/init.d/ispconfig_server stop

T1-01:~ # tar pcfz /tmp/SystemBackup/Storage/archives/test1.tar /home
    T1-01:~ # tar pcfz /tmp/SystemBackup/Storage/archives/test2.tar /vat
    T1-01:~ # tar pcfz /tmp/SystemBackup/Storage/archives/test3.tar /etc

/etc/init.d/ispconfig_server start

******************************************************************************************
    Or this line:

T1-01:~ # tar pcfz /tmp/SystemBackup/Storage/archives/full.tar /home /var /etc

which should back up the contents of all the important ispconfig dirs to my storage system.

Now is there a problem with any of the above code... as I said very simple but it should work....

Also I wanted to put the backup onto a cdr or dvdr or dvdrw.... what would I need to do to make this automatic.

Thanks

6. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

Looks good, should work!:)

7. mphayesuk

Good... what about putting the files on dvdr/dvdrw/cdr/cdrw I know I could do it manually but there must be a way to add something to the backup scripts to copy them over when the taring is finished.

Any suggestions

8. alex916

alex916 New Member

Time ago i make a dvd backup in this way.

Install dvd+rw-tools,cdrecord and mkisofs
    In debian:
    #apt-get install dvd+rw-tools
    This install all packages that we need.

#dvd+rw-format /dev/cdrom -blank
    Format the dvd+rw if you want use a rw dvd

#mkisofs -J -R -l -o /tmp/image.iso /tmp/test1.tar /tmp/test2.tar [every file you want]

#dvdrecord --dev=/dev/cdrom -dao /tmp/image.iso

If you want to test your image.iso before burning it
    #mount -o loop image.iso /mnt

I used this command a lot of time ago, a test could be good

Bye
    Alex

Last edited: Dec 15, 2005
  9. transops.net

transops.net New Member

Better backup solution (maybe).

Depending on your needs, it may be easier and safer for you to install a removeable IDE hard drive kit in your server and do backups with dd for a full system image. Hard drives are cheap, and you don't have to worry about spanning over multiple DVD-ROM images for large systems. This is exactly the setup I have at a client's office; once a month I pop a drive into the bay, image the main disk(s), and walk away with the full backup in hand a couple of hours later.

10. philokoi

philokoi New Member

Running Linux SLES10 Image

Hello,

Regarding your Image, I am looking for a similar system to create an image of a running Linux, is there a way to do this without stopping the system?

Installing a software and running it at a certain time and creating a clone
    of your entire disk on a usb disk?

This to be sure to be able to recover from a disk crash.

Thank you,

Philippe

11. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer