Server Config: ERROR Invalid Hostname.

Discussion in 'General' started by CK13, Dec 22, 2014.

1. CK13

CK13 New Member

I just installed ISP Config on Debian 7 and when i go to server config page i get ERROR Invalid Hostname.

What is causing this and how can i fix it?
    Did i do something wrong in the installation process?

[​IMG]

2. CK13

CK13 New Member

I changed the hostname in the VPS control panel to the domain name, reinstalled ISPConfig and now it is working.

3. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

The hostname is a fqdn like server1.example.com. So the text string that you entered (or that was set by your virtual server controlpanel for the vm) is a wrong hostname and therefor ispconfig rejected it.

4. MQuintana

MQuintana New Member

then it means that ispconfig 3 requires dns server to function ?? Because if it need a FQDN ??

5. till

No. It just means that you have to enter an FQDN and not just the local part as some software like amavis will not start without it.

6. uniQ

uniQ New Member

I ran into the same problem today. I was testing the new ISPConfig when I encountered this error.
    Is there a way to change the hostname on my system without loosing my data/ISPConfig installation?
    Already tried changing /etc/hosts, /etc/hostname and rebooted but nothing changed.

Step by step guide would be highly appreciated. Server is running on Debian 8.5 Jessie with Apache2, BIND, Dovecot & ISPconfig 3.1b2. :)

7. till

You have to set the new hostname in the hostname field of the server config in ispconfig as well. Beside that, the wrong hostname can also be in the files /etc/mailname and /etc/postfix/main.cf.

8. uniQ

uniQ New Member

Problem is, that I can't change the hostname in ISPConfig, since it also results in the error message 'Invalid Hostname'.

9. till

The message occurs when the hostname that you entered contains an invalid char. A valid hostname is e.g. server1.example.com

10. pelikancz

pelikancz New Member

Why is it impossible to let the hostname be and go to different tab (e.g. Cron) in this settings? It still won't let me even when I didn't change it and use just what was preconfigured.

To be honest I don't know what will change to that hostname do, because I have preconfigured server from my VPS provider. I don't want to create some mess when I don't know what this settings affect...

11. Peter Richardson

Peter Richardson New Member

I had the same issue, but I managed to fix it by reviewing and fixing discrepancies in the two /etc/hosts files on the two machines in the cluster. Now they're both identical, but I still have one issue in ISP config - they're still showing the old names (see attached images). They should be ISP-Config-1.launcestonit.com.au and ISP-Config-2.launcestonit.com.au. They have updated inside the Server Config page, but not on the previous page (Server Configuration - the one shows you the two servers)

Attached Files:

12. canju

canju New Member

Dear community,
    iam new to ISPConfig and iam running into the same error "Invalid Hostname" on saving the system --> server config. I was trying to get into the "Web" tab in order to see / setup SNI (for port based vhosts). I attached a screenshot.

Code:
    uname -a
    shows me the hostname like in ISPC is shown
    Code:
    Linux ubuntu-test 4.15.0-76-generic #86-Ubuntu SMP Fri Jan 17 17:24:28 UTC 2020 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
    I dont want to use a real domain name - just the LAN IP of the server (if this is possible).

What i want to do:
    Iam running a linux sever at home (18.04.4 LTS (GNU/Linux 4.15.0-76-generic x86_64)) and now i want to manage port based vhosts via ISPConfig GUI instead of setting up the apache site files via ssh console (which works fine, but a GUI to set it up would be realy cool). i will only connect via VPN into my LAN to get access to the linux server, so the server wont be reachable "for everyone". its just this one server which i want to manage via ISPC.

I want wo have 1 ip address, server is running in my LAN with ip 192.168.178.61. each web application should listen on a separated port (on same ip address).
    e.g. on 192.168.178.61:1337 is running a BookStack instance, on 192.168.178.61:1338 is running a Wekan instance.

Would be great if someone can support me by setting up my little port based ISPC project.

Best,
    Caju

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 4, 2020
  13. till

Very important, uncheck the network config option or your server will go offline when you save the changes as the network config you entered is not valid. Network config should not be used anymore,that's why it's off by default and you should not turn it on.

Regarding hostname, the one you entered is invalid as an FQDN hostname is required. enter something like 'myserver.local'

14. Jesse Norell

Jesse Norell Well-Known Member Staff Member Howtoforge Staff

Aside from fixing your hostname issue, ISPConfig does not support nor manage port based vhosts. If you do php development, it probably wouldn't be difficult to add a field for the port in your website template and either 1) write a little server plugin to update ports.conf and the vhost file to use that field (local change only) or 2) modify the main webserver plugins to use that field and make the changes, then contribute that as a feature in upstream code. The latter would probably need to be a bit more robust in error checking and such, hence more work than a quick "hack" you could get by with locally, but surely a welcome contribution if you're up for it.

15. canju

canju New Member

Thanks Till and Jesse for your answers. the invalid hostname issue is solved now when i append ".local"
    unfortunately iam not a PHP developer . initially i misunderstood the sni function, so i thought that port based vhost are supported. it seems that i will setup my port based vhost by hand.

nevertheless thank you for the clarification.

Best,
    Canju

16. till

SNI stands for server name indication, so these are name-based vhosts.