Server setup for Web Purposes with custom Firewall

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by ramangill, Jan 31, 2006.

1. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

Your modem is a router!
    You must then set up the port forwarding on your Speedstream 5200 router.

2. ramangill

ramangill New Member

Hey Falko,

Sorry for my ignorance and stupdity. So I tried to setup port forwarding on my router and was unable to. When I try to login into the modem with 192.168.2.1 I have no options to setup it up. Even when I read some online threads with some guys who managed to do this by setting their IP Address to 192.168.2.2 and then logging intot he modem with 192.168.2.1 it did not work for me. I called Bell Canada and they told me that the modem I had SpeedStream 5200 did not support Port Forwarding. I mentioned that I read several articles online that said I could but they mentioned that it was a different model of the SpeedStream 5200.

So I got really fed up and changed my whole network configuration. This is what I did:

Setup my DLINK Router to accept the DSL connection and through DHCP dynamically assign IP's through cloning the MAC addresses to my Linux box (192.168.0.102) and XP box (192.168.0.101). I no longer am using 2 NIC cards on my linux machine and it is acting as a client on my network. My DLINK Routers IP address is 192.168.0.1. I enabled port forwarding on my box to accept any WAN or LAN connection from Port 80 and forward it to 192.168.0.102 on Port 80 (Like many other threads advised me to do). So I still got the same results :( I still see the bell modem status page:(...and I still can not ping my ip address of 69.156.104.238.

Bell Canada also offers a statis IP service for a little more in $$$ and I am actually considering this since maybe this might help me in the long run. The modem apparently is a newer one and does allow port forwarding (but according to many others, the current one I have not should also work).

Any thoughts now since I changed my network config. I also have a linksys router. Any diff. between the two? Preferences?

3. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

When I try http://69.156.104.238 in my browser, I get "The connection has timed out"...
    So either your IP address has changed in the meantime, or your router configuration is wrong...