set up primary/slave relationships synchronisation

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by adionne, Aug 31, 2010.

1. adionne

adionne New Member

I am not familiar with this is this exercise involve reinstalling linux using the multiple server replication setup or it is simply to put the ip address of zoneedit two servers in the allow zone transfer box. Everything works okay except for synchronization. Any suggestion to sync this properly?

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

1) Create the "normal" dns records on the master server. If you use ISPConfig 3, then I recommend to use the dns wizard for that.
    2) Go to the slave server and add secondary records the zones. If both servers use BIND DNS server, then bind will sync the zones automatically.

3. adionne

adionne New Member

Thanks for the reply. I had an epiphany in regards to asking question and getting the proper reply in this forum :rolleyes: You have to be very specific :eek:

Since I closed my SOA post by thanking Matty then I guess I shot myself in the head.

My final and only problem with DNS is:

All of your nameservers match: Your nameservers returned different nameserver records.

Got 2 records at ns1.example1.com.. Got 4 records at ns9.zoneedit.com.
    At your nameservers I found:
    ns1.example1.com
    ns2.example1.com
    ns13.zoneedit.com.example1.com
    ns9.zoneedit.com.example1.com
    At parent nameserver I found:
    ns1.example1.com
    ns13.zoneedit.com
    ns2.example1.com
    ns9.zoneedit.com

Fail

I have been trying to fix this for days, read until I am blue in the face, ask zoneedit (no reply) try differentNS and A records entries and combination but can get my DNS configuration in ISPconfig to display the same results as my parent server. Matty suggestion in my SOA post gives me the best results but fail to past all test at DNSsy.com

Is suggestion was to create ns records as follow

ns Zone: Server1
    Nameserver Hostname: IP Address of Server1

ns Zone: Ns9.zoneedit.com
    Nameserver Hostname: ip of ns9

ns zone: ns13.zoneedit.com
    Nameserver Hostname: ip of ns13

Furthermore I get these errors

Number of SOA records: Each of your nameservers should return exactly one SOA record. This was not the case. The following problems were found:

ns9.zoneedit.com.example1.com (0 SOA records)
    ns9.zoneedit.com.example1.com (0 SOA records)
    Fail
    SOA Serial Match: Your nameservers returned different SOA serial numbers. This probably means that they are not synchronised properly. Fail

SOA Master Nameserver Match: Your nameservers returned different SOA master nameservers. Fail

SOA Admin Email Match: Your nameservers returned different SOA admin email addresses. Fail

SOA Refresh Match: Your nameservers returned different SOA refresh values. Fail

SOA Retry Match: Your nameservers returned different SOA retry values. Fail

SOA Expire Match: Your nameservers returned different SOA expire values. Fail

SOA Minimum TTL Match: Your nameservers returned different SOA minimum TTL value. Fail

What am i dealing with? Should I reinstall everything using bind 9?

4. till

1) Which dns server do you use on the primary dns.
    2) How do you replicate the dns records between the primary and secondary dns server?

5. adionne

adionne New Member

My A records are ns1.server1.com and ns2.server1.com

I entered in the two ip addresses for the ns9 and ns13 of zoneedit in the field
    "Allow zone transfers to these IPs (comma separated list)" I have tried a comma and now instead of a comma between the two ip addresses I use a space

Question: What is the file that contains all the records for the dns? I really like to take a look at it. I suspect that the zone transfer is working but not synching

Thanks for your quick reply!

6. till

Which DNS Server software do you use?

7. adionne

adionne New Member

The DNS server working with my IPPc3 is MyDns (Perfect server Debian Lenny Install 5.0 and ISPc3)

8. matty

matty Member

Hi adionne. Sorry, I missed this thread earlier. One of the quirks of DNS is you can end up with records like those. The trick is, when entering a fully qualified name like ns13.zoneedit.com, you need to put a stop/dot at the end of the name, like this.

ns13.zoneedit.com.
    ns9.zoneedit.com.

What can happen if you don't is the software thinks it's just part of the current zone and appends its own name to the end, like you saw. That could be part of why you are seeing some of those errors as the nameserver names are wrong.

Definitely also setup the slave servers on ISPConfig3 the way that till said. You may also need to check your firewall allows port 53/tcp.

9. adionne

adionne New Member

Matty,it did fix the problem thank you. I am almost there. I notice that my ns1 and ns2 nameservers had a dot append at the end of the name. I would like to suggest that some add some code that would append this period if missing and let the people decide to delete it proving that they know what they are doing.

My remaining problems is at zone edit and the synchronization. DNSsy:

1- All of your nameservers match: Your nameservers returned different nameserver records.

Got 4 records at ns1.designernet.com.. Got 2 records at ns9.zoneedit.com.
    Fail

2- Number of SOA records: Each of your nameservers should return exactly one SOA record. This was not the case. The following problems were found:

ns9.zoneedit.com (0 SOA records)
    ns9.zoneedit.com (0 SOA records)
    Fail

SOA Serial Match:Your nameservers returned different SOA serial numbers. This probably means that they are not synchronised properly. Fail

]SOA Master Nameserver Match:Your nameservers returned different SOA master nameservers. Fail

SOA Admin Email Match: Your nameservers returned different SOA admin email addresses. Fail

SOA Refresh Match: Your nameservers returned different SOA refresh values. Fail

SOA Retry Match: Your nameservers returned different SOA retry values. Fail

SOA Expire Match: Your nameservers returned different SOA expire values. Fail

SOA Minimum TTL Match: Your nameservers returned different SOA minimum TTL value. Fail

At zoneedit when choosing the nameserver secondary option, you are asked the master IP address and they give you 2 nameservers with addresses with a set of simple instruction to add them at your domain registrar.

In ISPconfig the only plase related to this secondary setup is to give the addresses in the allow zone transfer. I separated them with a comma. This does not seem to work or is there a way to verify that it does?

At the domain registrar if I tried to add ns1 and ns2 with the same ip address it will not allow it.I discovered that you add one then wait a few day then add the second one. Hence this allowed me to have to two name server on one IP,giving me the authority this was the answer to my first post.