setting up email

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by mwebb, Jan 12, 2006.

1. mwebb

mwebb New Member

my domain was purchase from register.com the domain name is mikeswebb.com i'm getting ready to try to get the email stuff working. step one would be to change/add the mx record with register.com?
    when i go to register.com and tell it i want to edit my mx records it display a new screen which shows the following:
    hostname _________.mikeswebb.com

priority "low"

mail server: _________________
    should i put *.mikeswebb.com for hostname
    leave priority alone
    and for mail server put ether my public ip or mikeswebb.com ??

after a do this am i ready to go so far as register.com is concerned or do i have to change something else such as "cname" ??

2. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

If you want an MX record for mikeswebb.com, then you should leave the hostname empty. If register.com doesn't allow it (for whatever reason), then put a * into the field.

As mail server you can use mikeswebb.com; I for myself always create an A record mail.mikeswebb.com (in this example) pointing to the same IP address as mikeswebb.com and use that one as mail server.

3. mwebb

mwebb New Member

If you want an MX record for mikeswebb.com, then you should leave the hostname empty. If register.com doesn't allow it (for whatever reason), then put a * into the field.

As mail server you can use mikeswebb.com; I for myself always create an A record mail.mikeswebb.com (in this example) pointing to the same IP address as mikeswebb.com and use that one as mail server.

if i do the A record thing do i still need to to the mx thing ??

4. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

Yes, you create mail.mikeswebb.com as A record and then use mail.mikeswebb.com as mail server in the register.com form when you create an MX record for mikeswebb.com.