Setting up failover server

Discussion in 'General' started by Knudn, Oct 22, 2015.

1. Knudn

Knudn New Member

I have a 5 server setup as described in this tutorial https://www.howtoforge.com/multiser...se-servers-on-debian-squeeze-with-ispconfig-3 and its been working great for a while now. But i have for a long time wanted to apply a failover solution in case of hardware failure or something similar. Im curretnly trying to do this with the mailserver, i configured rsync to copy the content of the vmail folder. And i was naively hoping that everything would work after i set it to mirror the main mail server in the ISPConfig Control Panel. But it didnt... Obviously i also need to replicate the database on the mail server. Now, what would be the best way of doing this? I found this tutorial https://www.howtoforge.com/installi...2#-installing-ispconfig-on-the-second-server- But this wasn't a multi server setup.

Would appreciate any help on this, thanks :)

2. florian030

florian030 ISPConfig Developer ISPConfig Developer

You can add the servers on the 2nd server to your existing installation and choose "mirror of" for each server. This will replicate the changes for dbispconfig to all (new) servers. You can use rsync or unison for web and mail. If you use dovecot, you can also replicate the mails wth dovceots dsync. For mysql databases i would use a mysql-replication.

3. Knudn

Knudn New Member

Thanks for the answer. But ive been trying for a while now to make this work, but i havent realy had any luck. I tryed to simply dumping the sql database from the orginale mailserver to the second server, then i replicated the vmail folders. I was hoping that i now would be able to login to the second mail server with the same details as the original (imap, pop etc..), but this didnt work.. So how do i make this work? As i said above, i found one tutorial on this but i dont know how i would apply gluster on the mail server only. Would appreciate any help :)

4. florian030

florian030 ISPConfig Developer ISPConfig Developer

You can use the resync-tool to write the mail-settings to every mail-server. If you just import a dump, you must adjust the server_id in the mail_*-tables