setup local test environment, access via multiple local devices(closed)

Discussion in 'General' started by jjsjjs, Jun 6, 2021.

1. jjsjjs

jjsjjs Member

Hello,

How to create local intranet website access for local devices for test purposes using ISPconfig?
    I have it in windows accessible via the hosts file (asked via this thread https://www.howtoforge.com/communit...ux-20-04-ispconfig-on-raspberry-solved.87089/), it works great but like to have access from more devices.
    How do i do this via ISpconfig, I've tried the DNS zones but no access yet? any solution or link to a solution is most welcome.

Thanks a lot!

2. Th0m

Th0m ISPConfig Developer Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

I think the easiest way for you is to add it to the other hosts files as well. You can also set it up in your DNS resolver (usually the router) if that supports setting custom records.

3. jjsjjs

jjsjjs Member

Sorry, I had to clarify it a bit, other devices mean also mobile / tablet.
    Unfortunately my router is quite limited and has no option to set custom records.

4. Jesse Norell

Jesse Norell Well-Known Member Staff Member Howtoforge Staff

You could point everything to a dns resolver which you control, and override what you want. A good network firewall/router could probably do that for you, or just install a resolver (including bind as an option) on a server which is otherwise not used for public dns. (You could use views in bind to do the same on a public dns server, but if this is your first setup I'd keep it simple and use a different server for your private records.)

5. jjsjjs

jjsjjs Member

Thank you.
    I also read something about putting a router behind the existing router which does have the needed capabilities. As the original router here is a basic thing from the internet provider with minor settings, on which one at max can forward some ports and a DMZ. Probably I have an unused router lying around who can do the job for now.