Should a messed up DNS setup be reinstalled

Discussion in 'Server Operation' started by wxman, Oct 14, 2007.

1. wxman

wxman New Member

Hi

Does anyone know if it's possible to reinstall BIND on a Ubuntu server installation?

I think I must have completely messed up my settings for the DNS server on my new server. I think I've read every article on setting up your own name server on the web, as well as a book on it. I installed ISPConfig hoping that might help; I think it made thing worse.

All I'm trying to do, is run a web server that will host several different domains, using an ADSL connection with a single static WAN IP. I thought it would be best to have a DNS server running on it as well to use as the primary name server. I would then get the second name server somewhere else. But after trying to configure BIND directly on the server, and setting up ISPConfig, now I can't get anything to work. I can connect to the server using SSH, and ISPConfig works, but I just can't get anything to work as a name server. I even followed the tutorial about using Godaddy and ISPConfig to set up your own name server, and that didn't work.

I just think it's time to start over with a fresh install, and not use ISPConfig to do any DNS.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

2. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

Any errors in your log files? Do you get any errors when you restart BIND?

3. wxman

wxman New Member

Nope. no errors show up, and it stops and restarts just fine.

It was actually working last night just before I went to bed. I had tried another way to configure everything, and all of a sudden, it was all working! I set up a test web page on the server from a domain we own. I switched the name server info at Godaddy, and it also was showing up in the browser just like it should.

Today I checked for the web page, and it wasn't showing up at all. The URL if you're curious is www.moultonboro-nh.com. I SSH into the server, and did a dig for the url, and it came back with no errors. Maybe I do have it set up correctly, but I don't know what happened to my test page.

4. wxman

wxman New Member

I just noticed something else. I do see the moultonboro-nh.com site, but I only see it on the computers that are on the same network as the server. The server is on one of the 3 wired computers off of our wireless router. If I type the full http address in, it connects. If I go over another Internet connection, it's not there.

5. falko

Code:
    mh1:~# dig www.moultonboro-nh.com

; <<>> DiG 9.2.1 <<>> www.moultonboro-nh.com
    ;; global options:  printcmd
    ;; Got answer:
    ;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 50692
    ;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
    ;www.moultonboro-nh.com.                IN      A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
    www.moultonboro-nh.com. 86400   IN      A       [B][COLOR="Red"]192.168.1.50[/COLOR][/B]

;; Query time: 255 msec
    ;; SERVER: 213.191.92.84#53(213.191.92.84)
    ;; WHEN: Tue Oct 16 11:47:39 2007
    ;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 56

mh1:~#
    You've used a private IP address. Of course, this can work only in your LAN. Use your public IP address here instead.

6. wxman

wxman New Member

I've been having a big problem trying to figure out where to use the local IP address and the assigned static one. I'm also using ISPConfig, and I thought I had the server correct there setting it at the local IP address.

I looked in the named.conf file, and it said the zone file was pri.moultonboro-nh.com. I found that one, and changed the A record for moultonboro-nh.com, and for www, both to the assigned static IP. I restarted bind, but it still shows the local IP.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2007
  7. falko

You must change the IP address in ISPConfig's DNS Manager.

8. wxman

wxman New Member

I changed the IP address there as well. It's working, but using www.dnsstuff.com tools, or DNS Sluth at http://atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~mj/sleuth/, shows it's still messed up some.

I think another one of my problems (among other things), is a lack of a good secondary name server to use. I'm going to be hosting around 20+ sites, and right now they all use the same NS1 and NS2 on our rented server. I think I'll be able to figure out how to do my own name sever here soon, but I can't do a second one as well to use as NS2. Not unless we get another IP address, and I pick up another computer.

I'm trying out a free one, but if I understand it, I can only have 10 URL's on it. I know I'll figure it all out soon, but right now it's frustrating.

9. wxman

wxman New Member

Ok Falko, I have a new setup.

I just found out I can use Godaddy's Default Parked Nameservers as primary, or secondary nameservers. I can even host all the different sites that we need to do here, and have then point to Godaddy's NS.

Of course this brings up another problem. How that gets set up in ISPConfig. I see how to do the actual nameserver entries, but it's the Record tab that is going to be confusing till I do it once. Godaddy has a complete DNS control section to set up records for a domain name, which I'll figure out. I'm not too sure how to set them up in ISPConfig though?

10. falko

You don't have to set up anything in ISPConfig's DNS Manager if you're using external DNS servers for your domains. The DNS Manager is for running your own DNS servers.