Simpe Noobie Question

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by mcam435, Oct 29, 2014.

1. mcam435

mcam435 New Member

I'm fairly new to this whole control panel thing, having always used dedicated web hosts before, I've now set up a VPS.

I'm just trying to get my head around the whole hostname thing. I'm currently accessing ISPConfig via IP address.

On my ISPConfig installation I have my hostname set up as mywebsite.co.uk, and I also have an additional website which is myotherwebsite.co.uk.

Currently mywebsite.co.uk is pointed at my old host, but once I change the DNS around, will my site point at \www\ as opposed to \www\clients\client1 where myotherwebsite.co.uk is pointing.

I hope this makes sense?

Thank you.

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

the hostname has to be a subdomain like we use it in the install guides, so you can e.g. use server1.mywebsite.co.uk as hostname but you can not use mywebsite.co.uk as this would mean that mywebsite.co.uk cant be used anymore for websites or mail addresses. So it is important that you use a subdomain like server1.mywebsite.co.uk and not mywebsite.co.uk as hostname.

3. mcam435

mcam435 New Member

Ah ok so it sounds like I may have messed up my installation altogether then. Would it be quicker for me to just start from scratch rather than trying to change the hostname is a ton of places?

4. till

Changing the hostname is not complicated, just change it in:

/etc/postfix/main.cf
    /etc/hosts
    /etc/hostname
    /etc/mailname

and reboot the server / vps.

5. mcam435

mcam435 New Member

Do I need to change the hostname of my VPS as well?

6. till

If the hostname is set by your provider (external vps controlpanel), then yes.

7. mcam435

mcam435 New Member

Great thank you very much for all of your help. I think I have a better idea of what I am doing now! :)

8. GogoAkira

GogoAkira New Member

thanks, I've been on it for three hours or so, hostname reverts back to default, I didn't even think of trying to change it in VPS control panel haha