site with no domain assigned to IP

Discussion in 'General' started by manarak, Jun 5, 2009.

1. manarak

manarak Member

hi, I'm wondering if it is possible to assign a site to an IP instead of a domain, and if it is then still possible to run other domains normally on the same box.

Currently, if I set a website to an IP, every domain on the server gets redirected to that site - seems like a bug to me.

Whereas the Server's IP directs to a page that just says "it works".

I would like to be able to configure the server's IPs to direct on certain sites setup in ISPC without a domain or setup with a dummy domain.

Running a site on an IP is quite handy for adservers and other technical content providing.

2. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

This is not possible because ISPConfig configures name-based vhosts, not IP-based vhosts. If you use IP-based vhosts, you can have just one web site per IP.

3. manarak

manarak Member

It was possible on Plesk 7.5.4 which I ran before.

Maybe it could be a cool addition to ISPC?

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Just enetr any dummy domain name in the site settings and select the IP address, it will work then fine with ispconfig.

5. manarak

manarak Member

my experience with doing this is that all sites get then redirected to this one site setup on the IP address, am I wrong?

6. till

If you setup an IP based site then you can not setup more sites with the same IP on your server. All other sites must use a different IP address and none of these other sites get s redirected there.

7. manarak

manarak Member

ok, thank you for the confirmation.
    that's what I said in my first post - I still think this could be a neat addition is ISPC.

8. manarak

manarak Member

let me ask a slightly different question:
    where does this "it works!" page come from?
    where is that html file located?
    maybe I could just put some files there.

9. giganet

giganet New Member

Hi Manarak

The 'It Works' page is generated by Apache.
    I had this same issue with the primary site which is also the host on my server using ISPC3 too!
    Just set the domain to use '*' rather than an IP address and the primary site should display.

I wouldn't suggest placing any files to be served anywhere in there ither...

Best Regards

10. manarak

manarak Member

ok, I have just installed a new server and found out how to achieve that.

create a site in ISPConfig3 and give it a dummy domain name, for example dummy.com

in /etc/apache2/sites-enabled
    you got a file named 000-default

rename that file _000-default for later if you want to be able to reverse

then put a symlink from 000-default to 100-dummy.com.vhost

ls -s 100-dummy.com.vhost 000-default

done!
    your dummy site is now the default site on the server and its contents will be shown whenever someone goes to your full hostname or the IP address.

@devs: could something like that please be implemented as a feature in the control panel instead of requiring messing with the conf files?

11. till

You can do this already in ispconfig, no need to edit any files manually. Just enter:
    000-default.tld as domain name of this site and disable the dumy site with the a2dissite command.