smpt server offline

Discussion in 'ISPConfig 3 Priority Support' started by Robertus, Aug 9, 2021.

1. Robertus

Robertus Member

no, I used mail.<my-url>.nl
    The command uname -n gives something else. "something.also-something.cloud"
    This was not clear earlier. So I need to use the mail.<hostname -n> ?
    If so how do I now update the certificate? Because the update -f doesn't let me update the certificate.

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

You have to use the exact name that is shown you by the command:

hostname -f

You must change the hostname of the system, verify that the correct hostname is set with "hostname -f" command and then run an update again and choose to recreate the SSL cert when the updater asks.

3. Robertus

Robertus Member

I think you mean hostname -n the minus f is not there in centos.
    I cannot change the hostname, or not exactly as it needs to be. The name is now xxxx.tilaa.cloud. I can change the xxxx part not the dns-domain .tilaa.cloud.

4. till

The command 'hostname -f' (not hostname -n) exists on any Linux OS including CentOS. The command hostname -f displays the fully qualified domain name of a system. See:

2021-08-24 09_02_12-root@server1_~.png

Same applies to older centOS versions too. If the command does not return anything, then the hostname of your system is not set up correctly and you must fix that first. The hostame of a system is defined in /etc/hostname file and it must also be set in /etc/hosts. if your cloud provider sets a wrong hostname, then you should contact their support. if your cloud provider limits the hostname that you can set, then you must either live with that limitation or go to a better provider which does not has this limitation.

5. Robertus

Robertus Member

ok sorry, your right, now is the part where you say "Of course" :)
    I read it wrong, I am a bit dyslectic. I used uname -n which gives the same output as hostname -f.

But this remains: I cannot change the hostname, or not exactly as it needs to be. The name is now xxxx.tilaa.cloud. I can change the xxxx part not the dns-domain .tilaa.cloud.

6. till

Whic I answered as well:

7. Robertus

Robertus Member

basically you say it is not possible with this provider? I will log a call at this hosting provider. I will let you know in this thread.

8. till

I did not say that, you said that it's not possible to set a custom hostname.

So either you use the hostname that you got by your provider, which is generally fine too. You just have to enter that name in your mail client as smtp and imap server. But it's not a subdomain of your domain then. And there might be limitations set by your cloud provider like which SSL cert authorities are allowed for this domain etc. Or you talk to your provider and tell them that you want to use a server hostname that is completely customizable like other cloud providers offer it and if they don't want to offer that, change to another provider.

9. Robertus

Robertus Member

before I go to the hosting provider, just this question. Can I use the current hostname xxx.tilaa.cloud
    Because it is reachable via DNS.

Edit: Sorry we wrote at the same time

Edit 2: So I can try this by running the update and ask the update to put a new certificate?

10. till

Yes. But take care to use the dev version of ISPConfig as forcing a new LE cert during update is broken in current stable release.

11. Robertus

Robertus Member

So I do:
    /usr/local/bin/ispconfig_update.sh --force
    then I use "git-develop"
    ?

12. till

13. Robertus

Robertus Member

Ok this is what happened.
    I did the update and used the dev. Now I could add the emailaddress without any problem. I could add with sending mails in my gmail-account. Receiving was not an issue. However when I want to send a mail with this mail-account after pressing "send" nothing happens.

I did try the apple-mail proggy and there is works. It is a bit strange that gmail lets me add the address with which I can start to send a mail but it won't send. If you know anything I can do about that it would be nice, but I can live with the apple-mail client.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2021
  14. Robertus

Robertus Member

this issue is something I have been struggling with for some years. I recently installed a new server and I needed this to work. It works now. I have now a better understanding of how certificates work. I do have some additional questions, but I can now transfer the websites to the new server and decommission the old one. Then I will as you recommended move slowly away from CENTOS. Thanks for now and I recommend everybody to go for HowToForge Supporter and a paid abonnement.

ahrasis and till like this.
  15. ahrasis

ahrasis Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

I think you should look at the Migration Tool.