SMTP Problem

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by dorutz, Nov 9, 2005.

1. dorutz

dorutz New Member

Everything goes smooth when i connect with Outlook to the server, but I can't sent anything. I can receive e-mails from anywhere but I can only send to user@mydomain.

The error:

The message could not be sent because one of the recipients was rejected by the server. The rejected e-mail address was '[email protected]'. Subject 'test', Account: 'xxxxxxx.ro', Server: 'xxxxxxx.ro', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '554 <[email protected]>: Recipient address rejected: Relay access denied', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 554, Error Number: 0x800CCC79

I tryed SMTP without authentification and it does not connect to the server at all. I checked, I have the co-domain created, and in etc/postfix/local-host-names I have too the co-domain.

What can I do?

Last edited: Nov 9, 2005
  2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

In you postfix main.cf, do you have a line like this:

mydestination = /etc/postfix/local-host-names

and also these recipient restrictions (this line may differ a bit, depending on your postfix version):

smtpd_recipient_restrictions = permit_sasl_authenticated,permit_mynetworks,check_relay_domains

3. dorutz

dorutz New Member

yup

yes, i have both. is it good or is it bad? Can't I just accept connections from all for SMTP? How do I do that?

Last edited: Nov 9, 2005
  4. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

:eek: No, because then you'd have an open relay which means spammers can use it to send spam from your server!

You have to enable something like "Server requires authentication." in your email client (Outlook). Then you should be able to send emails.

5. dorutz

dorutz New Member

thanks falko for your answers.
    when i enable authentification in outlook, the outlook does not connect at all to the smtp server. i used the same user and pass as in pop but nothing. the smtp keeps asking me for the user and password.
    any ideeas?
    if i enable smtp for all, i don't think it will be used for spam, cause the server is in an internal network.

6. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

Do you see anything in the mail log when you try to connect with your email client? Maybe your email client tries to connect to another server because of wrong DNS records...

7. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Please have a look in your mail log. Did you get any errors?