[SOLVED] 3.1 on Debian 8, server config settings vanished

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by pongraczi, May 4, 2017.

1. pongraczi

pongraczi Member

Hi,
    In an other post I already wrote, my email settings wiped out from the Server config.
    Now I realized, the Server section also wiped out, when I went to System (main menu) -> System (left menubar) -> Server Config -> Server (Tab)
    Right before this issue, I login as a reseller and created a website, alias, email domain etc. and I found that, ispconfig wrote on domain creation, SSI cannot be selected as this ip does not support it, so, only one SSL could be used. That was so strange as I already created several domains with own ssl (let'sencrypt) certificates.

History:
    In the beginning there was 2 IP addresses assigned to this server, but after the installation and some time, I deleted one IP address.
    Otherwise I don't remember I did any special thing, but only using the ISPConfig webadmin to create/delete domains, resellers, emails etc.
    As I think, the system should work for most cases, I did something weird, like I wrote: I deleted an IP address, after I added some resellers.

When I checked the database itself, I can see the configs in the server table, under config field. So, there is the ip address, network settings etc., but on the webadmin it is empty.
    Is it about a messed ID or what?
    How can I catch the problem, what to check?
    Thanks!
    IStván

2. pongraczi

pongraczi Member

Ok, it seems it should be related to that, I deleted one IP address.
    I can see * in the earlier created web_domains and an IP address in the newly created/modified domain.
    So, at this point it seems, if I want to modify/create a domain or emails, it will mess up that domain, due to the missing/no-matching IP address.
    With modified domain, I got apache vhost files under the root directory of the whole filesystem ( /domain.vhost, etc. ).
    Could any developer confirm this side effect of deleting an ip address?
    In short:
    • installed with 2 IP addresses
    • domains created with IP address: * (instead of selecting only one IP)
    • deleting 1 IP address
    • creating/modifiying new domains -> strange (aka scr*wed situation)
    • the Server config cannot bring the values of the values entered while installing the system....

Attached Files:

3. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

All effects that you see are caused by the missing server config settings and not caused by changing an IP. Changes in an IP can not alter the server config, it's a completely different database table and script. A missing server config has no effects until you actually add or update a website, mail account or something similar. So theoretically the actual fault that caused the server config to vanish can be days ago, depending on when you last used the ISPConfig UI in system > Server config. I can't tell you why the settings are missing, never had that on any of my systems. The process that saved the config after you changed something under system > server config must have failed in a way that an empty config was saved. The whole basic server side config is in the config field of the server table, so when your mail config was gone, then the web config must have been gone as well.

To fix your issue, restore the server config in the config field of the server table by using the base config which can be found in the file install/tpl/server.ini.master You should look trough the values before you insert them and adjust them as far as possible to match your system.

4. pongraczi

pongraczi Member

Thank you Till for your suppot.
    I remember, I had to set binlog-format = MIXED for mysql to get something work and I also applied a roundcube plugin to be able to edit sieve filters on the server.
    Just for the record, the config field is not empty in the table server.
    There is a [server] section, with valid parameters, but for me it seems, the data inside the config field has no separators. Is it correct?
    Like this:
    [server]auto_network_configuration=yip_address=10.0.2.65netmask=255.255.255.0v6_prefix=gateway=10.0.2.1firewall=ufwhostname=hataki.hitika.chnameservers=8.8.8.8,8.8.4.4loglevel=2admin_notify_events=1backup_dir=/var/backupbackup_dir_is_mount=nbackup_mode=rootgzbackup_time=0:00backup_delete=nmonit_url=monit_user=monit_password=munin_url=munin_user=munin_password=monitor_system_updates=y​
    Please note, the example above is just a part of the content and there is no [mail] section. [server] followed by [getmail].
    Now I try to fill the System config again and save it. Fingers crossed :)

5. pongraczi

pongraczi Member

So, now I have a nice, \n separated lines in the config field and now all has meanings and not a garbage.
    Like this:
    [permissions]
    allow_shell_user=yes
    admin_allow_server_config=superadmin
    admin_allow_server_services=superadmin
    admin_allow_server_ip=superadmin
    admin_allow_remote_users=superadmin
    admin_allow_system_config=superadmin
    [server]
    auto_network_configuration=n
    ip_address=10.0.2.65
    netmask=255.255.255.0
    v6_prefix=
    gateway=10.0.2.1
    firewall=ufw
    .....​

6. pongraczi

pongraczi Member

One question: how can I determine, what was the original setup for this?
    Uid-mapping cannot be changed if there are already mail users.
    What to check in the system? Compare the owner of /var/vmail/domains and website clients?
    Thanks!

7. pongraczi

pongraczi Member

I think I know, what happened some days ago.
    I was browsing the dbispconfig with phpmyadmin and I just clicked on the config field on row view and hit immediately an ENTER. That inline "editing" caused that, all new line characters vanished and the content written back.
    I checked this behavior of phpmyadmin and I confirm, inline editing the config field just remove all new line characters.

This was the original problem I had, so, consider this as a PEBCAK and SOLVED. I don't blame phpmyadmin, otherwise this inline editing feature is not really friendly.

8. ahrasis

ahrasis Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

May be you want to consider using "adminer" as an alternative to phpmyadmin?

9. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

By default, this uidmapping is off and I would not use it. when the mails in /var/vmail/..... are owned by user and group vmail, then the feature was set to off.

10. pongraczi

pongraczi Member

Thanks, yes, the other option not to clicking as a dumb :) Anyway, I consider this "feature" as bug in phpmyadmin. That clicking really was an accident by me. Otherwise I like adminer, it is elegant, small one, just works.

11. pongraczi

pongraczi Member

Thanks, it was off originally, so, I left it in that state.