[Solved] Debian 11 + ISPConfig 3.2.8.p2 + php 8.1 + Roundcube 1.60

Discussion in 'Server Operation' started by Vintche Dass, Oct 17, 2022.

1. Vintche Dass

Vintche Dass New Member

Good afeternoon,

I am in a similar situation as the author of this post :
    Code:
    https://forum.howtoforge.com/threads/solved-roundcube-1-6-installation.89367/
    (I canno't use link as new member)

It's not so much for the "new features" that the Roundcube 1.6.0 version would offer but for the PHP version.

1. Situation
      I am in production with a VM before replicating on my server :

2. PHP 7.4.32
      This version comes natively with Debian 11.5, as well as 8.0, but is not enabled by default.
      1. The answer of the command: php --version :

Code:
        PHP 7.4.32 (cli) (built: Sep 29 2022 22:18:03) ( NTS )
        Copyright (c) The PHP Group
        Zend Engine v3.4.0, Copyright (c) Zend Technologies
            with Zend OPcache v7.4.32, Copyright (c), by Zend Technologies

• Of course, I did few tests with php 8.0 activated, or php 8.1 activated.
        • To install ISPConfig 3.2.8.p2 on Debian 11.5 fresh install, I used these commands :

Code:
          wget -O - https://get.ispconfig.org | sh -s -- --use-php=8.0
          or even :
          wget -O - https://get.ispconfig.org | sh -s --
        • Only php 7.4.32 activated by defaults (of course with Roundcube version).
        • I used this tutorial to install ISPConfig 3.2.8.p2 :
          Code:
          https://www.howtoforge.com/ispconfig-autoinstall-debian-ubuntu/

2. In the ISPConfig interface, I have previously declared :
        • System > Additionnal PHP Versions :
          "PHP Name" : PHP 8.1

3. Nextcloud (v.24)
        Nextcloud requires php 8.1.
        Its installation and parameterization process includes this php structure.

• After installation of Nextcloud 24 :

4. My basic question
        • How to be able to update Roundcube 1.4.13( which is interfaced with ISPConfig: 3.2.8.p2) to Roundcube 1.6.0 which is scheduled for php 8.1 ?

• I skimmed different possibilities via the VM and restore back before starting another hypothesis.
        • I skimmed the Rouncube website which is not the most explicit in help / tutorials

5. ENDING
        Thank you for your time to read and if you have a solution, I would appreciate it.

Sincerely,
        Vincente.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2022
  2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Which does not make much sense at the moment as ISPConfig 3.2.8 requires PHP 7.4 or lower, so you can't install ISPConfig 3.2.8p2 with a default PHP version of 8.0 or 8.1 anyway, that's why the auto-installer configures your system correctly by using PHP 7.4 and then adds PHP 8.1 as additional PHP version. Besides that, the default PHP version of Debian 11 is 7.4 and you should not change the default PHP version of the OS as Debian takes care to provide security updates for PHP 7.4 in Debian 11. You can use PHP 8 and 8.1 as additional PHP versions for websites in ISPConfig, which the auto-installer configures automatically. And the next ISPConfig version 3.2.9 will provide PHP 8 support, but as the default PHP version of the OS should not be changed, this does not matter for Debian systems before Debian 12 (which will probably ship with PHP 8.1 I guess) anyway.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2022
  3. Vintche Dass

Vintche Dass New Member

1. Thank you for your response and experience.

2. I have read carefully and will follow your recommendations.

3. What worries me, when the passage will be made in 8.x that Roundcube which is not up to date currently, nor Nextcloud, since I will have to use a version the 23.x version, that they are impacted by changes between php 7.3 and 8.x. For version 8, some features of version 7 have been downgraded, and in short, that this creates bugs during the migration.

4. It is regrettable to me to start a new server with versions which are not up to date...

Regards,
    Vincente.