[solved] DNS editor panel quirks

Discussion in 'ISPConfig 3 Priority Support' started by kobuki, Nov 16, 2016.

1. kobuki

kobuki Member HowtoForge Supporter

The DNS panel is fairly easy to use and quick, but there is a definite drawback. When editing/adding several records quickly one after another, it always switches back to the SOA panel on submit, which is very inconvenient. Would it be possible to make a small fix for it? Ie. when one submints a record change, it stays on the record list panel instead of jumping back to the domain SOA panel?

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

The panel does not switch to the soa record view when you change a sub record of that, it stays in the list view. I've just tested that here in a freshly installed server.

3. kobuki

Hmmm, weird. It definitely did for me yesterday, but now it's OK. It doesn't switch away from the list panel. Could it have been some cached javascript causing the issue?

4. till

I did not had that issue yet, the redirect is done in php, so js caching should not be involved here. But who knows :)

5. kobuki

Yeah, thanks for the clarification - I didn't really dig deeper into the issue. Should it come up again, I'll report back.

6. kobuki

OK, I verified now that the problem still exists. If you cancel any record editing it throws you back to the SOA panel. When hitting OK it correctly brings back the record list.

7. till

That's the intended behavior, the cancel button shall go back to the soa and not the list. If you want to go to the list, press save, even if you did not alter the record.

8. kobuki

Why is that the default? It makes no sense. Sometimes people click on the wrong record and just don't want to save. OK and Cancel should bot go back to the previous view, that's basic computer ergonomy. It's not a good idea to try to make people learn a unique behavior instead of a well-known one used widely. It makes handling editing quite difficult and confusing sometimes.

9. till

Feel free to make a feature request if you want to get this behavior changed.

10. kobuki

I'll do that but seeing your current stance on the matter, does it have a chance of ever being implemented? OTOH, I can imlement it myself and attach a patch if I know you will consider adding it.

11. till

Sure, if you get enough people to vote for it.

12. kobuki

Yeah, I probably won't bother but just implement it for myself.

13. till

If you provide a patch then it is more likely to get implemented off course.