[SOLVED]Dovecot issues on new ispconfig installation on vps Centos7

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by Zague, Dec 29, 2019.

1. Zague

Zague Member

Hello guys,
    I am following the perfect server guide to install ispconfig (https://www.howtoforge.com/tutorial...php-pureftpd-postfix-dovecot-and-ispconfig/2/). In the step to install dovecot after installation I tried to start the daemon and got this error:

The weird is if I start manually the dovecot with dovecot -c /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf command, the daemon runs ok without issues, also
    dovecot -n didn't give any errors or messages
    dovecot -n
    Any Ideas?
    Thank you

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Follow the guide until the end and then test when you finished the installation, the dovecot config will get replaced anyway during ISPConfig installation.

3. Zague

Zague Member

Till,
    I have completed the installation the issue is with 3 daemons dovecot,amavisd, pure-ftpd
    I did some research and the problem can be the kernel (Linux 2.6.32-042stab127.2 x86_64) but my vps provider does not allow kernel upgrade.
    The message file reported
    Dec 29 15:07:49 mx1 systemd: Can't open PID file /var/run/pure-ftpd.pid (yet?) after start: Too many levels of symbolic links
    Dec 29 15:07:49 mx1 systemd: Can't open PID file /var/run/dovecot/master.pid (yet?) after start: Too many levels of symbolic links
    Can't open PID file /var/run/amavisd/amavisd.pid (yet?) after start: Too many levels of symbolic links

Any Ideas

4. Jesse Norell

Jesse Norell Well-Known Member Staff Member Howtoforge Staff

Sounds like you probably have symbolic links that point in a loop, check each level and you should find the problem.

Code:
    ls -ld /var
    ls -ld /var/run
    ls -ld /var/run/amavis
    ls -ld /var/run/amavis/amavis.pid

One or more of those will be a symbolic link, so also check the paths such links point to.

5. Zague

Zague Member

Till/Jesse
    Thank you for yours answers, I have spend a lot of time trying to fix this, This is not my first installation so all aimed a problem with the image or the vps or kernel or something so I took the decision to switch to Ubuntu and everything was installed correct. In regular conditions I keep doing research and troubleshooting of the issue but now I need save time.
    The last try that I did was update the systemd package and fix the problem of symlink but mariadb service was not able to start. That's why I switched the OS.
    Thank you very much
    Regards

6. Zague

Zague Member

Hello Guys,
    Sorry to reopen this thread but today this happens again when everything was working since December, my OS is Ubuntu 16.4, today did a systemctl restart dovecot and the daemon didn't start with the same issue
    I tried changing from PIDFILE=${PIDBASE:-/var/run/dovecot}/master.pid to PIDFILE=${PIDBASE:-/run/dovecot}/master.pid in /etc/init.d/dovecot, didn't work.
    So any Ideas?
    Thank you so much for your time

7. Jesse Norell

Jesse Norell Well-Known Member Staff Member Howtoforge Staff

Curious, that does not show recursive symbolic links. What do you get for
    Code:
    ls -la /run
    mount | grep run
    systemctl --state=failed

That init.d file won't be in use with systemd.

8. Zague

Zague Member

Thank you Jesse for your answer
    here the output
    I found the below link, it didn't fit exactly with my cases but I tried to create manually the links but it didn't work
    https://github.com/systemd/systemd/issues/3010
    Thank you for your time
    Regards

9. Zague

Zague Member

I think the issue is related with systemd because I ran manually daemons and they start ok
    dovecot -c /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
    The same situation is happening with fail2ban but running manually it's working ok
    fail2ban-client -x start
    I am stuck and I don't know what else to do
    Any ideas?

10. till

What kind of VPN is it and how much RAM do you have?

11. Zague

Zague Member

Till
    VPS:OpenVZ
    Memory 3Gb/Used 70% 2.11
    HDD 100GB/Used 2.78GB
    Bandwidth: 3TB /Used 410.29 MB
    Template:Ubuntu 16.04 X86 64
    --------------------------------
    In the below link there is a workaround making downgrade to systemd
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/systemd/+bug/1804847
    But I don't know how this procedure can affect ispconfig or others packages.

12. Zague

Zague Member

Guys,
    I was able to fix the issue according with all information that I found I reviewed the file "/etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/fail2ban.service" and change the lines
    Code:
    from
    PIDFile=/var/run/fail2ban/fail2ban.pid
    to
    PIDFile=/run/fail2ban/fail2ban.pid
    I did the same with dovecot nano /etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/dovecot.service
    Code:
    from
    PIDFile=/var/run/dovecot/master.pid
    to
    PIDFile=/run/dovecot/master.pid
    I think that this workaround also could be applied in centOS in last December when this issue presented at installation stage, but in that time I didn't have enough time to make research.
    Thank you guys for the efforts and time dedicated to this thread, we can mark this thread as solved :)

till likes this.
  13. till

Thank you for posting the solution!