[Solved] Roundcube 1.6 installation

Discussion in 'Server Operation' started by anark10n, Aug 22, 2022.

1. anark10n

anark10n Member

Roundcube 1.6 was released a while back, and I was wondering if it's compatible with a Debian11/Ispconfig 3 server, and if there's a tutorial for it somewhere, as I'm not conversant in it enough to rework the installation tutorial on its github page for my setup.

2. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

Does the 1.6 Roundcube bring useful features?

3. anark10n

anark10n Member

Can' really say, as i wasn't familiar with roundcube features enough to tell what's new and what's not. Other than a snazzy new interface that supports mobile better, and maybe some new drag and drop features. I was mostly just asking out of curiosity.

4. Taleman

I believe none of the Linux distributions supported by ISPConfig has Roundcube 1.6 yet. So whether it works with ISPConfig or not is maybe not so important, especially if does not come with any must have new features. I prefer a system that works to a system that may have nifty features but struggles to run reliably.
    However, you can try out what happens if you install Roundcube 1.6. I would use a test system for this, to avoid annoying users with a broken system. You can then write about your expeciences to enlighten other ISPConfig users.

5. Th0m

Th0m ISPConfig Developer Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

The roundcube package with version 1.6 is in testing stage on Debian, so it's not yet available there. From my experience the packages on Ubuntu and CentOS are usually a few versions behind the package on Debian, so I suppose it's not there yet either. But you can install from source of course.

6. nhybgtvfr

nhybgtvfr Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

i've just installed roundcube 1.6 on an ubuntu 20.04 test server running ispconfig 3.2.8p1 and it seems to work fine, i see nothing there that i would see causing major problems on debian 11. albeit that i don't have the ispconfig roundcube plugins installed on this machine yet, so i can't check any of the settings -> account options.
    a few of the server settings are in different locations, and there's a new encryption option under 'preferences', which appears to require the mailvelope browser plugin to enable.
    there may be some breaking changes regarding the roundcube plugins, i don't have time to install and test those right now.

the new version has more options under the settings -> preferences -> contacts. so if any part of the roundcube ispconfig plugins / integration was going to be an issue, i would expect it to be regarding contacts.

ahrasis likes this.
  7. anark10n

anark10n Member

Can confirm that roundcube 1.6 works without issue on debian 11 as well, with the same configuration steps from the perfect debian 10 server.

ahrasis and till like this.
  8. TonyG

TonyG Active Member

I just loaded Roundcube in Ubuntu v22. The default version that comes in from apt is 1.5.0. The Apache directives are different than HowToForge documentation. I'll have to put this aside for a while and come back to it to provide more/better info in another thread if it's required.

ahrasis likes this.
  9. Franktwells

Franktwells New Member

Is there a way to update the current installation of Roundcube 1.4 to 1.6? I tried with installto.sh but it crashes everything, tries to login to db with no password etc. Or is there a link that shows a clean installation with ISPconfig? Thanks a lot in advance...

10. Taleman

Is there a reason to upgrade Roundcube? It may be possible to do, but may lead to complications that you must be able to resolve. I would not start upgrade unless there is a pressing need for Roundcube 1.6.
    There have been discussions on this forum on Roundcube update to 1.6, try searching.

11. ahrasis

ahrasis Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

In my mind, it should be possible to upgrade RC to latest version as it is merely a web app, just like PMA, and others already tried it, however, what to modify in order to ensure its full compatibility with the latest ISPConfig, are for those who ventured that to find out themselves.

That said, @TonyG already reported RC in Ubuntu Jammy is version 1.5, which is close enough and it is LTS version and Ubuntu Jammy is already now already supported by ISPConfig latest version, should you care to try it out instead.

12. Franktwells

Franktwells New Member

It lead complications so thats why I wrote here.
    It does not have pressing need but it is more about having new features, security etc.

13. Franktwells

Franktwells New Member

Yeap, I kinda went into trouble for the compatiblity part, so thats why I was searching any instuctions.
    I installed it 20 days ago using autoinstaller on Debian 11 which installs 1.4.13 following the multiserver setup. I will install it manually and try to hook it up with ispconfig.
    Next step will be connecting everyhting with proxysql & galera cluster. :D

14. Franktwells

Franktwells New Member

Finally. today i was able to dedicate some time to this... I was able to update it to 1.6.1. In general it seems to be working, at least no more errors on logs etc. Now I need to figure out about installing a calendar...

till and ahrasis like this.
  15. Franktwells

Franktwells New Member

Kolab Calendar is also functioning...

ahrasis and till like this.
  16. nhybgtvfr

nhybgtvfr Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

hmm.. i've made a few half-hearted attempts to install kolab calendar on a test install a over the years.. never got it working to my satisfaction... and the install instructions always seemed contradictory.. what install guide did you use?

17. Franktwells

Franktwells New Member

apt install node-less
    then
    https://packagist.org/packages/kolab/calendar
    then
    You need to install the composer to Roundcube folder.
    then
    composer require sabre/vobject 3.3.3
    systemctl restart apache2

I also installed 2FA for logins, which works as well.

nhybgtvfr and ahrasis like this.
  18. Stelios

Stelios Active Member HowtoForge Supporter

This manual really needs update. For example the
    initdb.sh sript doesn't exist anywhere and under SQL folder there are a few SQL files.

19. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Which manual do you refer to? The current way to install ISPConfig is described here https://www.howtoforge.com/ispconfig-autoinstall-debian-ubuntu/ and the auto-installer installs RoundCube 1.6.5 on Debian 12, no need to run any additional scripts or SQL files.

20. Stelios

Stelios Active Member HowtoForge Supporter

I'm talking about the kolab calendar not ispconfig.