[SOLVED] SFTP worked for a time, now broken pipe

Discussion in 'Server Operation' started by DrMartinus, May 25, 2018.

1. DrMartinus

DrMartinus Member HowtoForge Supporter

for some strange reason, after I had uploaded quite a number of files via sftp, all of a sudden I am unable to get a connection. It says:
    Code:
    Connection to [IP-Address] closed by remote host.
    lost connection
    or similar. Any idea how this could have happened? I wonder if it has to do with the time that I was connected initially (that was several hours) while uploading files, but I'm not sure. I can ssh into the server just fine, but scp and sftp won't work.

Last edited: May 27, 2018
  2. ztk.me

ztk.me Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

have you uploaded some profile stuff doing some message output on your console after login? what happens if you remove it?

edit: reply to answer below: nah I thought there might have been a .bashrc file copied which outputs stuff on new connections, even with sftp - but you said you put the files into a different directory ... so dunno

Last edited: May 26, 2018
  3. DrMartinus

I'm not exactly sure what you mean, but the uploaded files were placed in a separate folder that is not accessed by the system. What could or should I remoce?

4. DrMartinus

I found the problem: the owner for some folders was not set correctly. How that changed during the upload, isn't clear to me, but it may have been caused by myself... :-(

5. ahrasis

ahrasis Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

Sometimes changing domain name website settings may cause that. Make minor changes in it and re-save it, sometimes may fix it. Otherwise, resync tool for website may also be useful.

6. DrMartinus

how do I access the resync tool?

7. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

It is in ISPConfig control panel, Tools tab. The fine manual explains more.