[SOLVED] Wordpress not working correctly on aliasdomain

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by AxelssonDesign, May 13, 2017.

1. Hello,
    After setting up alisadomain ton.zix.is wordpress is not working correctly. I'm designing on my server for customer tonspil.is who still has old website running. My plan is to design and show to customer website before publishing from my server.

What is the best practice to do this ?

##### ISPCONFIG #####
    ISPConfig version is 3.1.2
    ##### VERSION CHECK #####
    [INFO] php (cli) version is 5.6.30-0+deb8u1
    ##### RUNNING SERVER PROCESSES #####
    [INFO] I found the following web server(s):
    Nginx (PID 18323)
    [INFO] I found the following mail server(s):
    Postfix (PID 4723)
    [INFO] I found the following pop3 server(s):
    Dovecot (PID 485)
    [INFO] I found the following imap server(s):
    Unknown process (init) (PID 1)
    [INFO] I found the following ftp server(s):
    PureFTP (PID 924)

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Wordpress stores the domain that you used to install it on in it's databbase. When you want to use a different domain to access it temporarily, then you have to change the WordPress domain in the WordPress settings (or directly in the database). That's not ispconfig specific btw.

The best way to access a website during development is to change the hosts file on the desktop that you use for development or that you use to show the site to your customer. That way, you can use the final domain name from the beginning and no adjustments in wordpress have to be made while the live website is not affected.

3. @till
    I have been using my local host file during setup, but plugins with license code don't work that way, plugins keep contacting customer server.

Also I have problem with https since LE will not work on aliasdomain but wordpress is working on http bases. Is it possible to make tutorial on this issue :)

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Ok, that's a problem with these plugins and not an ISPConfig specific issue or alias domain problem. In that case, you probably have to do the complete installation and development on the alias domain and when the site is finished, contact the vendors of your plugins so that they change the license to the live domain plus change all occurrences of the alias domain that you used for development within the WordPress database.

For LE, it does not matter which domain you use or if it is the main domain or an alias domain. LE will work as long as the domain points to the server and is reachable from outside and all alias domains are included into the SSL cert of the website anyway. What your problem here probably is that LE won't work because the live domain points still to another site. so you might have either to use a self-signed SSL cert until the site goes live or you must use the development domain as main domain of the website and then change the main domain of the site later when it shall go live.