Some experiences installing 18.04 on aws t3.micro

Discussion in 'Tips/Tricks/Mods' started by trondhuso, Mar 19, 2021.

1. trondhuso

trondhuso Member

I have followed the instructions on perfect server and I have some experiences I'd like to share:
    1) When installing Spamassassin remove the spamassassin from the install line. My experience is that the install hangs when buidling Spam Assassin.
    The command is originally:
    Code:
    apt-get -y install amavisd-new spamassassin clamav clamav-daemon unzip bzip2 arj nomarch lzop cabextract apt-listchanges libnet-ldap-perl libauthen-sasl-perl clamav-docs daemon libio-string-perl libio-socket-ssl-perl libnet-ident-perl zip libnet-dns-perl postgrey libdbd-mysql-perl
    Change this to:
    Code:
    apt-get -y install amavisd-new clamav clamav-daemon unzip bzip2 arj nomarch lzop cabextract apt-listchanges libnet-ldap-perl libauthen-sasl-perl clamav-docs daemon libio-string-perl libio-socket-ssl-perl libnet-ident-perl zip libnet-dns-perl postgrey libdbd-mysql-perl
    apt-get -y install spamassassin

2) Quota does not work on AWS.
    before you run the quota-command you have to install the linux-modules-extra-aws
    Code:
    apt install -y linux-modules-extra-aws
    Then you run these commands:
    Code:
    modprobe quota_v1
    modprobe quota_v2
    rm /quota.user && rm /quota.group
    quotacheck -avugm
    quotaon -avug

Feel free to add information to this thread

till and Jesse Norell like this.
  2. nhybgtvfr

nhybgtvfr Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

firstly, especially if your installing everything on a standalone ispconfig instance, you'll find that a t3.micro is far too small. you're going to have services getting stopped with out-of-memory errors all the time. i'd recommend using at least small as the starting point.

you'll also find the performance better using the t4 instances, and also a bit cheaper if you use their own graviton processors, so the t4g instances.

as for the quote issue, that's been a problem for a long time, and unless somethings changed recently, (ie, within the last 6 months, i've not tested a new build for a while) then just installing linux-modules-extra-aws package is not enough to resolve the problem it'll still say the kernel doesn't support quota's.
    you used to need to remove the linux-image-<version>-aws, sometimes a couple of them as a newer one may get automatically installed when you remove the current one, and then install linux-image-generic.
    ubuntu 18.04 AWS EC2 disk quota's | Howtoforge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials , for 18.04, but i've done exactly the same process to get quota's working on 20.04

Jesse Norell, Th0m and till like this.
  3. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

I've moved the thread to the tips & tricks forum so it does not get buried in the install forum.