Some Questions on DNS.

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by eldaria, Apr 21, 2006.

1. eldaria

eldaria New Member

Hi All,

I'm fairly new on this with running my own linux server, so don't kill me. :)

This question might have been answered before but the search does not let me search on DNS.

I have currently a Windows server running on my DSL(16/1Mbit), and it is serving one of my domains with web, mail, and sql mostly for myself, but also some friends and family. This server is just running 1 domain.

Now I have been offered to hook on the server to a 10/10Mbit connection, and wanted to move my other domains that are hosted with a provider to my own server, mostly to be able to create as many subdomains as I want and as much space as I want.
    So I set up a Debian server with the help of the guide.

I have 5 Domains in total.

My question is then, how does this work when it comes to create DNS records?
    I only have 1 IP available towards the internet.
    Do I need to configure a DNS record at my hosting provider for each domain to point MX and A records towards my server, and then the server will figure it out, or do I need somekind of dns service out there to do it for me or how does it work?

If I need a DNS provider, does any one have a suggestion of a good one, not to expensive preferably located in Europe, and how would I set it up?

Regards.
    Brian.

2. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

You must find out the authoritative name servers for your domains and then change the DNS records on these name servers.

You can find out the name servers by running
    Code:
    dig ns example.com
    BTW, I hope you have a static IP address?

3. eldaria

eldaria New Member

Thanks for responding.

ok, so it shows that 3 of my Domains are with speednames.com, and the 2 other are with my Hosting Provider surftown.net.

With speednames I can change the Name server, and the other I only have access to configure DNS records.

So should I just point the A and MX records toward my IP or do I need to change the name server to be my server?
    If the Latter, I need to specify 2 name servers, but I only have 1 IP?

And yes I have fixed IP, My Windows server has been hosting my website for some years now, only changed IP 1 time, and that was when I changed DSL provider. :)
    And the New Location will also have fixed IP, just better bandwith. :)

4. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

Do this, it's the easiest solution. :)

That's good! :)

5. eldaria

eldaria New Member

Ok thanks. :)