Spam Filtering

Discussion in 'General' started by mphayesuk, Sep 13, 2005.

1. mphayesuk

mphayesuk Member HowtoForge Supporter

How effective is this spam filtering, do you need to update this at any point. Is it a auto-update or manual ect....

Thanks

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

It is as effective as spamassin is. You can install e.g. pyzor and DCC on your server to enhance the filtering. Spamassin is updated together with ISPConfig.

3. nformosa

nformosa New Member

And if i may intrude into this thread...does the anti virus get updated aswell?

4. till

The antivirus engine is updated together with ISPConfig, the antivirus databases are updated automatically via freshclam.

5. mphayesuk

So ISPConfig and the antivirus gets updated together, do you mean when you bring out a new release or does ISPConfig and antivirus get updated in the background, every week--month ect...

6. till

It is updated when we release a new ISPConfig version. ClamAV and Spamassin do not release new version very often.

7. mphayesuk

ClamAV do release daily definition updates though according to there web site so do these automatically get updated or do I have to do this manually.

8. till

They get updated automatically, i posted this already above "the antivirus databases are updated automatically via freshclam".

9. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

The antivirus definitions are updated up to 10 times a day automatically. :)

10. Ovidiu

Ovidiu Active Member

anyone got some instructions on how to incorporate pyzor, razor2 and dcc ?

I used to use another frontend instead of ispconfig and there Ihad detailed instructions but I can't use themas I do not know as which user the email is handled...

or does someone have some help/tips for this?

11. till

There are no special instructions nescessary for ISPConfig, install pyzor, razor and DCC on your server and they will be used automatically.

http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/InstallingPyzor
    http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/InstallingRazor
    http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/InstallingDCC

12. Ovidiu

Ovidiu Active Member

thx but I am still unsure about the instructions, take this from the wiki as an example:
    Does this mean every user who wants to use Razor has to do this??? is there no way to do it automatically for everybody?

what about this quote of spamassassin I found:
    ? I can't find anymore info in the forum on how the spamassassin is implemented into ispconfig...

maybe you can help meout with a link?

13. till

You need only one registration per server.

You do not need to change anything in the ISPConfig spamassassin when you install razor, pyzor and dcc in the usual directories as described in the spamassin wiki.

In ISPConfig spamassin is called via procmail and the installation directory is /home/admispconfig/ispconfig/tools/spamassassin/. There you will find also the spamassin config files.

14. Ovidiu

Ovidiu Active Member

is all this still valid?

I heard in newer versions of SA (starting with 3.01 I guess) you have to enable the dcc module separately...

and how about sa-learn ? how can I have a cronjob learn every midnight messages that are in spam folder as spam and all inside ham as ham? also the cron job should delete all thats inside spam and move everything from ham into inbox after reprocessing that perticular email so its subject gets corrected..

15. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

Have a look here: http://www.howtoforge.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2317&highlight=sa-learn

16. Ovidiu

Ovidiu Active Member

did not help, still have open questions, plz look in the post you linked to :-(

well as that topic has become closed, I'l ask again here:

it looks like you are using only one preference file (db) for all mail users , have you thought about giving each mail user his own spam and ham db for bayes purposes? it won't take more than 2-3MB / user - if doing so how can one separate the sa-learn scripts so that each users spam gets learned only for himself?

has anyone gotten so far as to have sa with sa-learn and dcc razor2 and pyzor working on a per user basis?
    I found out you can use: --dbpath

but how would that look like so that I could use a variable and the path gets substituted by the actual user...
    somehow I would have to pass over the users home directory to sa so it finds his DB and his preferences...

Last edited: Mar 27, 2006