spf SoftFail - tag Subject

Discussion in 'General' started by gregor1980, Apr 6, 2017.

1. gregor1980

gregor1980 New Member

Hello,

I'm trying to tag emails that get a Softfail in spf-policy. I could block them all but there is always the problem with false-positives so that is not an good option. So I was thinking that maybe I could tag the subject.
    an example from the log:

Code:
    Apr  6 12:07:24 eposta policyd-spf[42019]: Softfail; identity=mailfrom; client-ip=XXX:XXX:XXX:XXX; helo=some.domain.com; envelope-from=other.domain.net; receiver=User@mail
    Is there a way to do that?

Best regards
    Gregor

2. Jesse Norell

Jesse Norell ISPConfig Developer Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Don't block on Softfail, if the domain owner wanted you to block, they would create a hard fail policy and/or require SPF to pass in dmarc. It seems difficult enough for even large email providers to publish spf records correctly (I'm looking at you, Microsoft), lets not punish folks needlessly.

Do you use spamassassin for mail scanning? If so, ensure you have the Mail::SpamAssassin::plugin::SPF plugin loaded, and it will contribute to your spam scanning score (not just in a direct rule like SPF_PASS and friends, but will also improve other meta rules).

You could do something to alter the subject if you wanted to, though I really don't see the point. This post indicates you should get a header (not alter the subject) by setting defaultSeedOnly = 1, though I don't know offhand if that's also for soft fails or just hard fails: https://answers.launchpad.net/pypolicyd-spf/+question/404669