Squirrelmail, dovecot IMAP and sendmail - how to make it work?

Discussion in 'Server Operation' started by webcho, Jun 28, 2006.

1. webcho

webcho New Member

Hi,

I hope somebody can help me with this:

My box is HSPcomplete control panel VPS.

I installed Squirrelmail and dovecot (IMAP) and can login to Squirrelmail and send emails OK with my account "username".

But no email I send from somwhere else (e.g. Yahoo Mail etc.) shows in SquirrelMail, though I can see it has been received since it is present in file /var/spool/vmail/mydomain.com/mail/username

Obviously my MX record is OK, and sendmail is delivering it to the proper virtual user mbox (status is OK in /var/log/maillog as well).

The question is how do I "link" dovecot to provide this virtual user mbox (/var/spool/vmail/mydomain.com/mail/username) as an INBOX for "username" when using Squirrelmail ?

I read for more than an hour, but coulldn't find how to do ut anywhere on the web.

I tried by setting

default_mail_env = mbox:/var/spool/vmail/%d/%n

in /etc/dovecot.conf, but ti doesn't work (ERROR: Connection dropped by IMAP server. Query: SELECT "INBOX" )

(and yes, I do restart dovecot every time I change its config).

Anybody with an idea? Thanks in advance!

2. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

What's in /etc/dovecot.conf?

3. technick

technick New Member

With my Sendmail / Dovecot / Squirrelmail setup, I am using Procmail to distribute user mail to specific directories. It would make sense, you need to tell sendmail how to deliver the incoming mail instead of letting it sit in /var/spool/mail. You might be able to setup Dovecot to read mail out of there as well.

I highly recommend you read the Sendmail Cookbook and the Big Bat Sendmail book as well. It will enlighten you with the power of Sendmail. I wonder how long it will be before Oreilly comes out with a book on Dovecot?

4. technick

technick New Member

Also forgot to mention, turn the log level up to 19 in sendmail, rebuild, restart. Watch /var/log/maillog, you can see what is happening to your mail.