Squirrelmail – translation to another language

Discussion in 'Server Operation' started by Hans, Apr 19, 2006.

1. Hans

Hans Moderator Moderator

Squirrelmail’s default language is English.
    I like to translate Squirrelmail in another language, in my case Dutch.
    I have downloaded the Dutch language pack with wget http://surfnet.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/squirrelmail/nl_NL-1.4.6-20060409.tar.gz but i do not know how to go any further now.

I found an article at: http://sourceforge.net/docman/display_doc.php?docid=59&group_id=311 with a possible solution.

Does anyone know if this is article works, or is there another way to setup a translation to another language. Is there a short “how to” available ?

Hans

2. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

Isn't there a README file in the language pack?

3. Hans

Hans Moderator Moderator

If there was a readme, and if everything was clear to me i was not here.

But do not worry, i check it out myself.

Hans :rolleyes:

4. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

Ok, I've just downloaded the language pack to have a look myself. There's an install script in it that you must run:
    Code:
    ./install

5. Hans

Hans Moderator Moderator

I am going to do this. thank you for your reply.

Hans

6. Dennis

Dennis New Member

This is an old thread, but nothing seem to have changed. This is what I did:

Code:
    1. Download the locale file to server.
    2. Untar the file.
    3. Move the language files to
    /home/admispconfig/ispconfig/web/squirrelmail/locale
    /home/admispconfig/ispconfig/web/squirrelmail/help
    4. Run the ./install
    You will be asked for the squirrelmail location, which I answered with the above path. Then you will be asked to overwrite several english help files. I always answered no, but I think you can overwrite them since there does not seem to be a manual language setting for email users in squirrelmail.

I think you also have to configure your default language in squirrelmail. You can do this by going to /home/admispconfig/ispconfig/web/squirrelmail/config and run ./conf.pl . After changing the language default, you have to save and quit. I did this before installation of the locale, because I was hoping that my language was already present.

Now squirrelmail shows everything in my desired language.

Edit: I just noticed, that the thread author asked for squirrelmail in general. I think if your server locale is set correctly and then install squirrelmail, it will install the right locale for you. At least I cannot remember having installed locales for squirrelmail. As far as I remember it displayed the right language right away. But I have to admit that my etch server is still on English locale, so that this might be the reason for the need of locale installation.

Last edited: May 15, 2008