SRV record

Discussion in 'General' started by mrbronz, May 3, 2021.

Tags:
  1. mrbronz

mrbronz Member HowtoForge Supporter

Hi all

I am experimenting with a simple PBX server.

I would like to implement an SRV record in my DNS, but am a little stuck on what the host and targets should be.

Could anyone give me some pointers on how to determine the variables I will need for this record?

I've looked at the ISP documentation but cannot get enough information from that to implement the record

Many thanks

2. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

3. mrbronz

?
    Why are you telling me what one is and what it's used for?

I would like to know how to implement them specifically in ISPC3... With the help of a little guidence.

4. Th0m

Th0m ISPConfig Developer Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

SRV is already supported in ISPConfig, open your DNS zone and see for yourself.

5. Jesse Norell

Jesse Norell Well-Known Member Staff Member Howtoforge Staff

I think because your original post said you're having a hard time understanding what should go in some of the fields in an SRV record - the link provided explains them, and even uses sip based services as the examples. Noone can know what you need to enter for your setup, it requires your hostname(s), entries for the protocols and ports you are using, etc. The hostname and target are both relative to the current zone origin, ie. the zone itself, so you could enter something like "_sip._udp.mypbx" as hostname and "mypbx" as target, or enter a fqdn (period-terminated).

Other examples are easy to find with searches for something like 'srv record for pbx', eg. https://www.voip-info.org/dns-srv/

6. mrbronz

Ok, I need to do a little more digging.

I have used my FQD for hostname and used '0' for both Weight and priority and using a port 443 for the port. But I'm still not sure of what goes in the target.
    Just as Jesse suggested I assumed the sub domine would be the target. So that means I cannot use the FQD for the hostname which asks the question should the hostname be terminated with a dot "." or not

Last edited: May 4, 2021
  7. Jesse Norell

Jesse Norell Well-Known Member Staff Member Howtoforge Staff

You can specify it in either form (partial name relative to the zone origin, or period terminated fqdn).

8. mrbronz

Thank you