SSL and Shared IP Addresses

Discussion in 'General' started by opnsrcaddict, Jul 22, 2009.

1. opnsrcaddict

opnsrcaddict New Member

Hi,
    We are looking to run two different CRE Loaded sites on the same IP address. The first site I created a SSL certificate for and everything works as expected. The second site says that an SSL certificate already exists for that IP address. The problem is that on any of the pages on the second site that use https, such as the admin and login pages, they get mixed up with the pages from the first site. Is there a way to prevent this from happening?

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Yes, you need a dedicated IP address for the sSL vhost that is not used by any other sites. SSL hosts in apache area lawyas IP based.

3. opnsrcaddict

opnsrcaddict New Member

Thanks for the reply, but I'm a bit unclear on what you mean. How would I go about setting this up?

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Get a second IP and use this IP only for the ssl website.

5. opnsrcaddict

opnsrcaddict New Member

Is there an easy way to have more than one SSL site on the same ip? I've read some stuff about shared SSL certificates.

6. martinfst

martinfst Member Moderator

Shared SSL certs are if you have multiple websites for one domain, like www.example.com and shop.example.com and mail.example.com. With a shared cert, all three would return a valid certificate authentication. It would avoid having to buy three certs and use three IP addresses.

If you want to use www.example1.com and www.example2.com you will need two certs and two IP addresses.