SSL installation from NameCheap.com

Discussion in 'General' started by SamTzu, Nov 25, 2014.

1. SamTzu

SamTzu Active Member

I could use some help with the SSL installation from NameCheap.com.

1. I created a new internal/external IP's for the website (changed DNS settings) and created firewall rules for them.
    2. I changed the site to use that new internal IP.
    3. I created SSL request using ISPconfig's "SSL Action" "Create Certificate."
    4. I used that request in NameCheap control panel using "positivessl" selecting Apache + OpenSSL.
    5. I copy pasted the resultant files from NameCheap into a bundle and copy pasted that into the "SSL Bundle" field.

The result was that I got a working site with HTTPS but the certificate complained that the site name was not the same as the server name (doh, it's shared hosting!)

After I changed the site IP back to * (because I don't want to get error messages in the HTTPS connections) I can't get the HTTPS to bind with the site with or without the fixed IP.

So there are 2 different questions here :)

How to fix the error with the certificate (server name)?
    How to fix the HTTPS to bind with the right site (as opposed to the ISPconfig/phpMyAdmin?)

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

The ssl cert has to go into the ssl cert field. Onle the intermediate ssl certificate(s) go into the bundle field.

Regardin IP address. All sites on a server has to use either the IP or *, you can not mix * and IP as the site that has the Ip will get all requests then. SSL works with * as well as an IP in site settings.

3. SamTzu

SamTzu Active Member

Thx, Till.

Guess what I forgot?

I forgot to enable the SSL from the website main tab in ISPconfig :)
    That's why I only got the "server" page when I tested HTTPS.

Now it works.