SSL with SMTP

Discussion in 'Server Operation' started by phantomk, Nov 7, 2005.

1. phantomk

phantomk New Member

I am trying to figure out why SSL is not working for my setup when I try to send email via a 3rd party application, such as Thunderbird. TLS and regular smtp through port 25 work perfectly, but whenever I try to use SSL on port 465, the port is open, I get a smtp server connection error.

I have used the Perfect Debian Sarge howto found in the howto directory, great howto by the way ;) Any help is apprecieated in this puzzleing problem :S

Confused as can be,
    PK

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Plaese have a look at the mail log. (/var/log/mail.log) if you get any errors there when you connect on port 465.

3. phantomk

phantomk New Member

Nothing appears inside any of the mail logs when I try to connect :S Odd, you think something might appear...

I checked:
    /var/log/mail.err
    /var/log/mail.info
    /var/log/mail.log
    /var/log/mail.warn

On a side note, how would I regenerate the SSL certificates to change the owner from "localhost" to "mail.my_domain.com" ?

4. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

Is it maybe your firewall that blocks accesses to port 465?

5. phantomk

phantomk New Member

I made sure that the port is open, it was blocked the first time I tried it, but it turned out not to be the issue :S

Here is the result of "netstat -tap"

6. falko

There's nothing running on port 465...

7. phantomk

phantomk New Member

I thought The Perfect Setup - Debian Sarge (3.1) guide also setup a ssl smtp connection ?

How would I go about setting up a SSL connection for smtp ? Also how would I go about changeing the certificate owner, currently it reads:
    When I retrieve my e-mail through a pop3 or imap SSL connection.

8. falko

No, it's a TLS connection that uses port 25.

You can use TLS by telling your email client to use a secure connection.

To create other TLS certificates, simply re-run the steps from the tutorial.
    To create new POP3/IMAP certificates, have a look here: http://www.howtoforge.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1168

9. phantomk

phantomk New Member

Thanks :) The post you pointed me too solved the certificate problem :)

I thought TLS was less secure :S That's why I was asking about the SSL connection.

10. falko

No, TLS is secure. :)