Sub domains and ISPConfig3

Discussion in 'General' started by Tone Irene Andersen, Apr 15, 2015.

1. Tone Irene Andersen

Tone Irene Andersen New Member

Hi..

The process to add a subdomain to a domain already existing on ispconfig is very long and confusing expecially when it needs to be its own website.

I wonder why the devs for ISPconfig 3 have made it this way? Wouldn't it be better if it actually set up the dns records from the add subdomain and completely remove add vhost? or vise versa.

I am new to ISPconfig3, but i am liking this panel much more than i like cpanel. Cpanel have alot of functions that i hardly ever use and ispconfig3 does not.

Yours faithfully,

Tone Irene Andersen

gec likes this.
  2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

The process is absolutely easy and straight forward:

1) Click on nwe website.
    2) Enter the subdomain in the domain field. e.g. sub.yourdomain.com.
    3) Press save.

as you can see, it cant be shorter.

ISPConfig is a business controlpanel for ISP's while cpanel is more a toy for single servers. So while ispconfig can manage your whole server infrastructure cinsisting of dedicated web, mail, dns and db servers, cpanel is just for small single server systems. So while the assumption for cpanel is correct that there cant be other servers or that there cant be domains that are not a website on the local server, this assumption is not true for a ISP setup that ispconfig is made for. So combining dns and web makes no sense for a software that allows you to control your whole server infrastructure.

3. Tone Irene Andersen

Tone Irene Andersen New Member

Ok that makes sense, ive set my sub domain up as you have described above, but this is does not allow the domain to be accessed.

Clearly apache and bind are connected in some ways, so im just wondering why its made so hard to set up for users who are not really used to messing around with those sorts of things? If you set up a sub domain in cpanel for instance the zonefile is automatically setup and theres also added in apache directives for you. I understand your way that ispconfig is for an isp and not for a single server but shouldn't this be easy to setup on isp level?

Yours faithfully,

Tone Irene Andersen

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Does your dns zone has a wildcard dns A-Record "*" pointing to your server IP? If you dont want to add subdomain zones individually, then add a wirldcard record.

5. gec

gec Member

Hi Till,
    I have to agree with Tone Irene and many others that asked that same question in the past. Subdomain creation process is not simple.

The process probably is very straight forward for hard core network internet wizzard experts ... but most of us, that came from cpanel do not know all the deeps of the internet ocean :)
    Even you made mistake in one thread suggesting to the guy to select R Redirect Type. Later correcting your self to L type. :)

I like ISPConfig very much and i thank you for working so hard on it. But this Subdomain question is asked so many times in the past that it just begs to be addressed. I would really like to see creating subdomains simple and automated as in cpanel. with auto creating subfolder in the web root and adding zones.

just my 2cc :)

thx again for all the hard work!

6. Richardmax

Richardmax New Member

Anyway ISPConfig work very well and allow have my own platform but i am in agree with gec about subdomain creation process if compare to .... but it is not necessary ;)

7. The ISPconfig panel actually makes it really easy. Like Till told above create a dns record for your subdomaina and go to websites to setup a new website on that subdomain. Can't be easier, great panel guys