sub domains

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by tribaljedi, Jun 15, 2006.

1. tribaljedi

tribaljedi New Member

I'm a bit confused on how to setup sub domains within ISPConfig.

I see the co-domain feature, however this doesn't work like a true subdomain. If I make a co-domain forum.domain.com and point it to domain.com/forum, it just rewrites the url. So if I visit forum.domain.com it redirects to domain.com/forum.

I do not want it to do this. I want the address bar to say forum.domain.com not domain.com/forum.

I can easily do this by modifying my httpd.conf file but I would prefer to do this through ISPConfig.

Is this possible?

2. tribaljedi

tribaljedi New Member

Ok I tried creating a second site and using the Apache Directives box, however ISPConfig automatically sets the DocumentRoot. I need to somehow overwrite that and specify my own document root.

3. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

You can not specify the document root in ISPConfig manualy.

Why dont you just copy or symlink your websites?

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Sure. But you sued the wrong feature. Justr add a new website "forum.domain.com" for this client and install your forum software in the web root that ISPConfig created for you.

5. tribaljedi

tribaljedi New Member

That really isn't feasible at this point. I have quite a bit of custom code I wrote to tie the forum and website together as one. It would be a pain to go through and modify everything.

I'll just leave my httpd.conf modifcations in place and not worry about using ISPConfig to handle the subdomain.

I was just confused because all other management systems like Cpanel and Plesk allow you to create subdomains in that fashion. I figured it had to be somewhere in ISPConfig also.

6. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

You can try to put your own rewrite rules in the Apache Directives field of that web site in ISPConfig (of course, you then have to remove the forward from the Co-Domain).

7. taylan

taylan New Member

subdomain problem

hello
    i just began to use ispconfig i dont know how to create subdomain
    i have got my domain name www.damdakikedi.com
    i want to have sub.damdakikedi.com i just need to know how to achieve that
    i created cname on my dns manager on www.reg-123.co.uk i am not sure there is need to create cname on myd dns manager . i read most of the forums but i couldnt make it
    my public adress is 82.45.242.63 and i redirect to router 192.168.1.100 machine
    running centos and ispconfig can you explain what is the process step by step
    and i need to create mail.damdakikedi.com to reach for mails thank you very much for helping
    taylan

8. marclar

marclar New Member

First you have to tell the DNS server that the sub.damdakikedi.com should point to the same ip as www.damdakikedi.com.. Usualy you can do this through the web interface of your DNS manager...

Than you set up a new site in ISPConfig, and enter "sub" as a host, and "damdakikedi.com" as a domain name.

Than, just copy the page that you wont to be displayed under sub.domain.com, into the web folder that has been created for that site. You can acces it through ftp.

I think that's about it, please someone correct me if i'm wrong!

Trying to help:D

9. taylan

taylan New Member

thanks for quick respont

Thanks marclar
    i created cname before sub.damdakikedi.com now i pointed using A record the my public adress it goes to particular folder it works but url is now www.damdakikedi.com/sub automaticly
    actually i want to have url adress sub.damdakikedi.com if you know aswer of that one i will appreciate thank you very much for help

taylan

10. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff