Subdomain ISPconfig3 - Setup Site & DNS, but no result!?

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by danhansen@denmark, Oct 21, 2014.

1. danhansen@denmark

danhansen@denmark Member HowtoForge Supporter

Hi,

I'm trying to setup the subdomain "stats.domain.tld" . Hope you can help me. Tried the manual, no luck. Tried google, no luck. And, for some reason I can't access "ISPconfig priority etc." anymore!? Hope somebody sees this, because it's pretty d... important :confused:

Made it in "ISPconfig CP/Sites/Subdomains":

Host: stats
    Domain: domain.tld
    Redirect type: L
    Path: http://www.domain.tld/stats/

Done it in DNS as well - "ISPconfig CP/DNS/Zones/Records/DNS Cname":

Hostname: stats
    Target hostname: domain.tld

Set TTL --> 300 to shorten update time for testing!?

Can it be this? Is it maybe?:
    1. Is it because I only have a primary nameserver and use seconday dns somewhere else!? Do subdomains need to be added in the secondary nameserver!? I was pretty sure it didn't!
    2. Do I need a "." (dot) after the target hostname? According to the manual it's only when using a FQDN in either field (hostname/target hostname)
    ISPConfig 3 Manual - Target Hostname:
    The real name of the machine that the hostname in the "Hostname" field points to. Wildcard values such as * or *.sub are supported, and this field can contain an FQDN or just a
    hostname. If you specify an FQDN, the name must end with a dot; if you specify just a hostname, it must not end with a dot.

3. Made a subdomain several days ago. Same setup, but it doesn't work either?? So it's can't be the update time, right?

Last edited: Oct 21, 2014
  2. frprim

frprim New Member

3. danhansen@denmark

Hi frprim,

Thanks for your response. But, I can't see how I can solve the problem using that link/site. Sorry, but I can't. Anyway, I did read this site. Right before I tried with the ISPconfig3 manual.

I described my actions very precise. So please, if you know what the error is, then tell me.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2014
  4. danhansen@denmark

GOT IT!! Found the error!

Hi,

Actually I thought I already tried this, but I apparently didn't! Just set a dot after the domain.tld in the "target hostname". Then it will work!!

I think the entry in the manual is a error then, but I'm not sure. Maybe it's me misunderstanding it completely ;)
    According to the manual it's only when using a FQDN in either field (hostname/target hostname), the dot is needed!!

ISPConfig 3 Manual - Target Hostname:
    The real name of the machine that the hostname in the "Hostname" field points to. Wildcard values such as * or *.sub are supported, and this field can contain an FQDN or just a
    hostname. If you specify an FQDN, the name must end with a dot; if you specify just a hostname, it must not end with a dot.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2014