subdomains in ispconfig3

Discussion in 'General' started by ignasigarcia, Mar 13, 2009.

1. rukus77

rukus77 Member

Guys, Till just explained how to use the subdomain feature... Just create the folder manually for now... You have to FTP to the directory to upload your script/files/etc anyway, so create the folder then... Is it that big of a deal?

If it is, make it a feature request and I'm sure they'll get to it if deemed valid/necessary. After all, ISPConfig is free, cut these guys a break! They're doing an awesome job in my eyes.

Mike

2. thibotus01

thibotus01 Member

Hi guys,

I'm excpecting a problem, when I use the L Flag.

I'm using already this .htaccess in the web/ folder :

Code:
    # www
    RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} !^www\.domain\.tld$
    RewriteRule ^(.*)$ http://www.domain.tld$1 [QSA,R=301]
    It's redirect the visitor to www.domain.tld if onyl domain.tlf is typed.

So when I create a subdomain, and I go to sub.domain.tld it's always redirect me to www.domain.tld/folder-of-subdomain
    Like a R flag

Any idea ? thanks

3. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

If you use already a custom .htaccess file, dont use the redirect function as it will conflict with your custom .htaccess configuration. Either use your .htaccess file for a redirect or the ispconfig function but not both.

4. thibotus01

thibotus01 Member

What I did : I put the redirect code from the .htaccess to the domain.tld.vhost after the ispconfig rules. It works fine.
    Thank yyou

5. u4david

u4david New Member

someone please shine light on the dman dns thing.

ok .So I have been beating my self to up to this point.I know is simple but when something is broken it will not work even it just may be little over look.

so lets start from scratch

My registrar have provided me with domain/s.
    This domain/s points to my WAN IP.(tested works fine) Server is loading my home pages of my websites hosted on virtual hosts/one IP.
    Do I need to configure any other records there or can Ispconfig3 handle all the a,ns,mx records,sub domains?

If so I can move forward and place my questions regarding DNS/subdomain configuration on Ispconfig3 leaving registrar setting behind from now on.

If NOT so what other records needs to be set-up using registrars resources?

I plane using Ispconfig3 to its full extend but in same time use registrar settings minimally.

Thank you.

6. till

You dont have to configure anything in the ISPConfig DNS server as you use the dns server of your provider for the domains.

7. u4david

u4david New Member

Not a option

I know i have the option to use provider for DNS records,I have been using them so far for all mine sub domain/ mx. What I do want is to use DNS build in ispconfig3.
    Now I know i have to add custom NS.
    Custom NS registers mine domain DNS with registrar.
    Ones registered do i also need to change the primary and secondary servers from registrar default to mine custom that i just added.And if I only have one dns server(the one build in ISPconfi3 do I just keep using the second one from mine registrar defaults? Or do i make some sort of Cname for secondary (fake) or do I keep the defaults and add more DNS server with the registrar defaults?

I know it will all take up to 4 days to become usable.As is takes time to propagate.Is there way to speed this up?So testing can be done instantly or least faster?

I would like to understand DNS that is why i would not use registrar DNS records.Just another think to figure out.Love it.

So thanx to all tinkers and geeks for reply.

8. yoplait

yoplait Member

Good evening,

I've got the same problem !

I can't create a subdomain as my DNS provider one... I have always a "server not found" error.
    I created a sub directory in the root website, with the good rights, but nothing changes...
    I can see that alias do the same as subdomain in ISPconfig, but how to do something which I can use ? (neither R, nor L, nor R and L redirection works at all)
    I can't find a really clear explication of the fields of ISPconfig (normal, there's no documentation yet ;) ). Someone can tell me about that ? with an explicit example ?

That would be helpfull :)

Thanks !

9. till

Your problem is not related to your ispconfig server as you get a server not found error. Theproblem is the dns record for the subdomain at your provider.

10. yoplait

yoplait Member

I didn't declare anything in my provider properties... I have to do so ?
    I'll try this so ...

So if I understand :
    - I have to declare the subdomain in my provider DNS zone, and then direct it to my server IP,
    - And then, in ISPconfig, create a subdomain to the folder (in the root website "web" folder) I want for this subdomain ?

11. yoplait

yoplait Member

Ok, I did it, But now, I have a page redirection error... (but maybe I have to wait more time...)
    Does the "path" field must be the absolut path to the sub-folder ?
    or web/<sub-folder>/ ?

I'll try tomorrow...