Subdomains point to main site?

Discussion in 'General' started by fooboo, Feb 26, 2010.

1. fooboo

fooboo New Member

Ooh scrub that, I just had to be patient. It's all working as expected now :D
    Must've been some cache or other that timed out and ditched the wrong settings.

2. fooboo

fooboo New Member

Thanks for all your help. I could have been going round in circles for weeks on that one. It never occurred to me to use the private local IP address so I would have kept plugging on trying the external one.

3. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

All config updates are written once per minute, so you have to wait some time until changes get applied.

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

The reason for that is really simple. You use a NAT router, NAT means network address translation. So from the view of your server, the internal Ip is used to connect to the site and not the external. The server doe snot even know that there is a external IP, omnly your router knows the extrenal and internal IP address. So: In all settings of your server except of DNS records, you have to us ethe internal IP.

5. fooboo

fooboo New Member

I'd forgotten that :p
    I used to run a Gentoo LAMP server behind this router, then an ISPConfig2 based CentOS install but it was a while ago that I set them up so I'd completely forgotten that I needed the internal IP on the server.

Hopefully this struggle will stick in my memory so I'll remember this point next time.

Thanks again.