suggestions Wireless net

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by rickygm, May 22, 2006.

1. rickygm

rickygm New Member

hello forum, I have a Wireless router Linksys SRX200 and I want to mount a wireless network with having Authenticated , my router is supported to create a secure wireless network and authenticated?

2. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

What exactly is your problem? :confused:

3. rickygm

rickygm New Member

I don't still begin to configure my wireless network, what I want to know is that if I can mount a wireless network authenticated with the Linksys SRX200 + CentOS 4.2?

if I have problems in the road, I will publish them

thank you experts and linux users

4. falko

What do you mean with "mounting a wireless network"?

5. rickygm

rickygm New Member

you excuse me Falko , my English it is not very good, what I mean is that if I can create an authenticated wireless network with linksys SRX200+CentOS 4.2+Freeradius

6. falko

Maybe you can do it with OpenWRT: http://openwrt.org/
    There are also some other projects that replace the original Linksys firmware and give you a whole bunch of possibilities... :)

7. socrazy143

socrazy143 New Member

It depends on how big of a network you plan on having. First and foremost I am not aware of a third-party firmware for your model number. If you want to mess with the firmware you are better off going to Buy.com and picking up a Linksys WRT54GL. Not the L. The version 5 WRT54G routers do NOT use Linux and therefore are useless with OpenWRT, Sveasoft and DD-WRT. There are other models besides Linksys to use as well.

Alas, if you are stuck with the SRX you might want to give a canned solution a shot rather than build it yourself. m0n0wall is one of the easiest but I am not sure what type of authentication it uses if any. It might just be a captive portal and if a CP is all you are looking for you can't beat the Sputnik firmware upgrade. It is easy to setup but again you will have to get a different router.

If you have some patience and skills you can setup NoCat. Rob Flickenger, author of Building Community Wireless Networks, co-wrote this software. It doesn't take a whole lot to setup but newbs might be wise to play in third-party firmware land.

There are a lot of choices out there but all take a little patience and lost of reading.