Suse 9.3 Mail Server only

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by JeremyP, Oct 7, 2005.

1. JeremyP

JeremyP New Member

I have setup Suse 9.3 with the howto and installed ISPconfig. Everything is running smooth. I only want to use it as a mail server for clients. Does anyone know how I can just create client mail accounts using there domain?

2. matehortua

matehortua New Member

you can create them as system users with no login e.g (shell is /bin/false) and empty home you can do all that with Yast.

and when you send a mail to that user it " creates it" as a mail user, you can see a Maildir directory on his /home/user

hope it help

3. JeremyP

JeremyP New Member

Here is the scenario:

We already host web sites for various cities in our state. Probably over 50. We have had some city managers asking about e-mail service. For example, let's say the city of soandso has a web site that we host under the domain www.cityofsoandso.org. But, let's say they are currently using some free webmail service. They want to be able to send e-mail using there own domain like [email protected]. We want to provide that ability using a Suse 9.3 box.

Am I totally on the wrong path here or what?

4. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

You can simply create a new web site in ISPConfig, www.cityofsoandso.org with the Co-Domain cityofsoandso.org - the actual web site can still be hosted elsewhere, no problem. Then you create all users and email addresses on the "User & Email" tab. You then need to create an MX record for the domain cityofsoandso.org pointing to your ISPConfig server.
    And your users can use your ISPConfig server as smtp and POP3/IMAP server in their email clients.