Swap usage issue

Discussion in 'General' started by MrM, Aug 11, 2009.

1. MrM

MrM New Member

Sorry for not replying for a while. I was quite busy the last couple of days.

I do believe, that swap usage has stopped increasing ever since I changed swappines to 0. I have also not observed any adverse effects of this change.

I will now try this, to clear the swap without having to reboot, and cross my fingers it doesn't start growing again. :D I'll also make the swappines change permanent, by setting vm.swappiness=0 in /etc/sysctl.conf.

I'm not sure I entirely understand this. So, is 270MB per apache process normal?

Thank you very much for taking the time to help me solve this problem, bajodel. It appears, for now, that the swappiness setting did the trick. I would never have figured this out on my own. :eek:

2. MrM

MrM New Member

Sadly, I am still experiencing this problem. Even after running the swap-clearing script in a weekly cronjob.

I strongly suspect that console-kit-daemon is the culprit here. Just now, it was reportedly using almost 50% of the system's ram. After killing the process, memory usage decreased dramatically.

Googling about it, I believe this daemon is meant for desktop installations and has no real function on a server. When I try to remove it, it says the following packages will be removed: consolekit dbus dbus-x11. Is it safe to remove these packages on an ispconfig server?

3. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

as far as i know, dbus and dbus-x11 are also for a desktop instalation. But I'em not sure if removing these packages cause any problem. Maybe you should ask this question on the mailing list of the linux distribution.

4. MrM

MrM New Member

Thanks! Will do that.