Switching from Plesk to ISPConfig

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by torusturtle, Apr 22, 2006.

1. torusturtle

torusturtle ISPConfig Developer ISPConfig Developer

Hi

I'm running a virtual server with Fedora Core 2 and Plesk 7.5 and want to switch to ISPConfig.

Has anyone made some experience with switching?

Can I uninstall Plesk with rpm -e psa-* and then install ISPConfig?
    Or are there other steps necessairy?

What about mailboxes.
    Can I copy them to the new folder without loosing there content?

Any advice apreciated!

Thanks,
    Alex

2. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

I've never used Plesk, but basically ISPConfig is for fresh systems. There's some manual work involved in moving existing web sites and users to ISPConfig...

3. torusturtle

torusturtle ISPConfig Developer ISPConfig Developer

Thanks for the reply.
    I don't mind to do some hand copying as long as it works at the end.
    I don't have many websites online.

I'm more concerned about the mailboxes.

Plesk uses qmail and as far as I know ISPConf uses sendmail.
    Do I get it right that both of them use provmail and thus a switch should work?

4. falko

ISPConfig works with Postfix and Sendmail, but not with qmail. And it uses procmail.
    I don't know if the switch works; I don't know Plesk...

5. krishol

krishol New Member

I am also in same problem..... we are using plesk in the existing system and and now i m trying to shift websites from plesk to ISPConfig, everything is fine except for mail box... so can i shift mailbox as it is as it was in the plesk.......
    please help me.....

6. falko

If you're using mbox, then you don't need to change anything. If you use the Maildir format, then you can copy over the old Maildir to the user's new home directory.

7. krishol

krishol New Member

r u talking about ISPConfig or plesk??

8. falko

I'm talking about how to switch from Plesk to ISPConfig.

9. krishol

krishol New Member

HAHAHA
    sorry!! I mean, you r saying "if your are using mbox.............." is this for Plesk or ISPConfig????

10. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Falko is talking about mailbox migration in common. This is software independant.

11. eugenevdm

eugenevdm New Member

This is a relevant topic of great interest to me

This is now 5 years later since this post. I am in need of migrating my entire Plesk infrastructure with 6 servers to ISPConfig.

Reason: Plesk screwed me (and locked me in) with Expand.

After all these years, can someone tell me, are there are easy or obvious ways to migrate from Plesk to ISPConfig?

12. falko

There's no automatic way, you will have to do it manually (create web sites, email accounts, etc. in ISPConfig and then migrate your data to the new server).

13. eugenevdm

eugenevdm New Member

Thank you for your reply. I wish to point out that implementing some kind of tool to help with migration will be an enormous help. The reason is we have 5 servers with 1000s of sites and doing this manually will be a nightmare.

14. createch

createch ISPConfig Developer ISPConfig Developer

a) set up ISPconfig
    b) Under the ISPconfig admin panel, manually create the domains you want to migrate from the Plesk server

For each domain
    c) migrate the files of www (in ISPConfig the default folder is under /var/www)
    d) create users (under ISPconfig) for all email users for that domain
    e) migrate (simply copy) all the emails from the mailboxes to the new server (you know there are inbox, sent box, etc.)

Make sure you have made backups before doing the above

15. yanger

yanger New Member

i am in the process of migrating from plesk/FC4 to ISPC3/Lenny and this is my written down notes... maybe this will help you guys too if you are migrating...

easiest first...
    creating domain etc at the new server
    copying /var/www/vhosts/domain/httpdocs/ to /var/www/domain/web
    adjusting permissions where needed
    also grepping for old /var/www/vhosts and editing anything to see new path

databases..
    locate and backup EACH db with phpmyadmin. export then edit the sql file to match new system. then import in with phpmyadmin :)

emails... i'm right here now..
    i've warned users to either 1) move all important mail to a local client, like Thunderbird or Outlook (for those using imap) and that their password would be set to something (unsafe, but they can change it in squirrelmail ie the change_sqlpass plugin) ... or 2) force access into their account, link it to outlook/thunderbird on my end, copy move em, log out, switcharo o to new server, reload their account, change password and setup an webpage telling them their password was reset. (probably the worst method I can think of, but it works...)

O_O i'll let you know how it goes,but i have around 40 accounts to move *sigh* fyi, not very secure, but hey, you ARE the webmaster... you just can't be peeking into their emails... there are methods to migrade qmail to postfix, but because my server's small, this seems easier...

Last edited: Nov 23, 2011
  16. eugenevdm

eugenevdm New Member

17. JeffryL

JeffryL New Member

I don't have any experience with this but if you run Plesk's autoinstaller it's possible to switch to the Postfix format. Just run:

/opt/psa/admin/bin/autoinstaller

as a root. And choose for the Postfix mailserver. AFAIK this is possible with a running system.

Probably afterwards it's easier to make the switch to ISPConfig. If people have experience on this subject. Let me know!