symbol errno, version GLIBC_2.0 not defined in file libc.so.6 with link time referenc

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by mconigliaro, Sep 1, 2005.

1. mconigliaro

mconigliaro New Member

im getting this error at the end of the installation procedure. this box is running sles9.

Code:
    Stopping ispconfig_tcpserver
    Starting ispconfig_tcpserver
    /home/admispconfig/ispconfig/tools/tcpserver/ispconfig_tcpserver: relocation error: /home/admispconfig/ispconfig/tools/tcpserver/ispconfig_tcpserver: symbol errno, version GLIBC_2.0 not defined in file libc.so.6 with link time reference
    /home/admispconfig/ispconfig/tools/tcpserver/ispconfig_tcpserver: relocation error: /home/admispconfig/ispconfig/tools/tcpserver/ispconfig_tcpserver: symbol errno, version GLIBC_2.0 not defined in file libc.so.6 with link time reference

2. mconigliaro

mconigliaro New Member

fyi, the fix for this was to set the LD_ASSUME_KERNEL environmental variable before starting ispconfig_tcpserver. ultimately, i added the following to line 61 of /etc/init.d/ispconfig_tcpserver

Code:
    LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.4.1

so now it looks like this:

Code:
    LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.4.1 $prog ${array[$index]} ftp `which vsftpd` /etc/vsftpd_${array[$index]}.conf &

i hope someone out there find this helpful.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2005
  3. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Thanks for this post. We will test it on the other supported linux distros and if it works we will include it in the default start script.

4. maurisor

maurisor New Member

Very thanks

I had the same problem, but now I have resolved
    :) :)

5. tmdg

tmdg New Member

Hi,
    I'm getting the same problem but the solutions above have not helped me. What else can I try?

The system has Fedora Core 5 installed adn fully up to date with yum. It took me a few goes to get ISPConfig to compile due to some missing rpms. It was a clean install.

I added the LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.4.1 I tried adding symlinks but no joy. :-(
    That changes the error to

/home/admispconfig/ispconfig/tools/tcpserver/ispconfig_tcpserver: error while loading shared libraries: libc.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

So I added a sym link
    # ln -sf /lib/libc-2.4.so /usr/lib/libc.so.6

no change so I tried
    # ln -sf /usr/lib/libc.so /usr/lib/libc.so.6

/home/admispconfig/ispconfig/tools/tcpserver/ispconfig_tcpserver: error while loading shared libraries: /usr/lib/libc.so.6: invalid ELF header

So obviously that is not right either.

Can anyone give me a pointer to the cause of my problem.

Regards.
    Tom.

6. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

Replace vsftpd with ProFTPd because then the ispconfig_tcpserver isn't needed anymore.

7. Ben

Ben Active Member Moderator

I had the same error after upgrading from Debian Sarge to Etch, for me it worked fine...

8. till

The problem is that the tcpserver binary is compiled with a old libc version. The tcpserver is OpenSource, but the complete project has disappeared some time ago from the web and we dont have the sources, so we can not recompile it. Also we did not find a replacement for the tcpserver yet.

If anyone as a tcp server that is able to start one vsftpd instance for every IP address, please contact me.

9. Ben

What does the tcpserver do or what tasks does it have to do?
    Maybe it would be possible to redevelop the way, vsftpd is implemented?

10. till

The tcpserver listens on all IP addresses on your server and spawns a vsftpd instance for every IP. I have researched a bit too and this might be possibly reimplemented with a custom Xinetd setup, where xinetd starts a different vsftpd version for every IP on the server.

The main problem is, that vsftpd allows onyl one anan ftp connection per server and not per IP address and we need one anon ftp per IP address to be able to offer anonftp for websites in ISPConfig.

11. Ben

Are there any news about that / a bug opened?

12. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

No, unfortunately not...