Test Files

Discussion in 'General' started by falko, Aug 1, 2005.

1. mlz

mlz Member

2. vogelor

vogelor ISPConfig Developer ISPConfig Developer

YES YOU'R right!
    i didn't know that the /cgi-bin dir was an alias and so "linked" direct into the web. when i now point to www.muv.local/cgi-bin/hello_world.pl i am a little bit better. til now i got a 404 file not found. from now on i get a 500 internal server error. i think this is a little bit better. the next thing to do is to check the log-files. i'l do this tomorrow!

3. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

Make sure hello_world.pl is executable. Also switch off SuExec for now (until you get it working).

4. vogelor

Got It!!!

THAT'S IT i looked into the error log and found, that suexec stops execution if the file is writeable by others than the owner!!!!

chmod to 777 is TO MUCH RIGHTS! All can write the script an suexec generates a error 500!!!

chmod 755 is exactly what suexec needs an the script runs!!!

@til
    maybe we should add a cronjob which runs every 30 minutes and changes the rights, because if a user uploads a script and didn't know this he sets the wrong parameter and a 500 error is generated (and the user thinks the provider makes something wrong).

5. falko

I don't think it's a good idea to incapacitate users with a cron job. If we did this, we will have dozens of posts asking why ISPConfig changes the permissions of scripts without asking... :(

6. vogelor

you are right. This is in deep a problem. but the other side is: how many users didn't know anything about rights. they upload a file and wonder why the script returns a 500 error.

maybe a hint at the 500-page itself is a good idea?

by the way: suphp has the same "problem". ISPConfig by default sets the document-root of the web to "group writeable" and your howto for suphp at this site sets the config of suphp to "create error if the dir is group writeable". This means, suphp will not work if u install suphp like your howto says. only after changing
    Code:
    allow_directory_group_writeable=true
    instead of false, suphp works fine. If you don't change the line you get a 500

7. falko

But I didn't write the tutorial for use with ISPConfig. Not all tutorials on this web site are related to ISPConfig.

8. vogelor

i know. what i exact mean was "the howto at your site".

And this was not meant as a critic, this was meant as a "good to know" or "maybe one should change the howto and add a comment for ISPConfig" ;)

9. falko

I know. :)

10. Daisy

Daisy New Member

yep. Yucky zip. File is corrupted.

11. falko

As I said before it's working for me, so the file cannot be corrupted. Have you tried to download it again?

12. Daisy

Daisy New Member

yeah. Using latest version of winrar.

13. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

I've downloaded it and extracted it with winrar without problems.

14. martinfst

martinfst ISPConfig Developer ISPConfig Developer

Just a hunch: did you dwld it to you windowze box and then upload it to your server with FTP? If so, did you select binary transfer?

15. astewart

astewart ISPConfig Developer ISPConfig Developer

I'm also getting the Internal Server (500) Error when running the hello_world.pl when Suexec is Enabled. No errors when Suexec is Disabled.
    I've checked the Log file and it shows this output:
    "Premature end of script headers: hello_world.pl"

Does anyone know what might be causing the problem or how to fix this?

Thanks!

16. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Is the file owned by the web administrator user and group and which permissions has the file?

17. astewart

File ownership:
    User - web6_astewart
    Group - web6
    (Which is correct)

The CHMOD is 755, tried with 777 but same results.
    Works fine with Suexec disabled.

Anyone else experiencing the same thing??
    :(

18. falko

Can you post the output of
    Code:
    ls -la /path/to/hello_world.pl
    and the web6 vhost configuration from Vhosts_ispconfig.conf?

19. astewart

Here is the output :
    Code:
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 web6_astewart web6 379 2007-05-22 13:25 /var/www/web6/cgi-bin/hello_world.pl

Ahhh, Stupid Question, where do I locate that file (Vhosts_ispconfig.conf)? :confused:

20. falko

Depends on your distribution. Somewhere in /etc/pache2/vhosts, /etc/httpd/vhosts, /etc/httpd/conf/vhosts, ...