The Perfect Server - OpenSUSE 13.1 Apache won't start after installing squirrelmail

Discussion in 'Server Operation' started by rupertrealbear, Nov 12, 2014.

1. rupertrealbear

rupertrealbear New Member

I was delighted to find HowtoForge Linux tutorial The Perfect Server - OpenSUSE 13.1 x86_64 (Apache2, Dovecot, ISPConfig 3) and I am following it as closely as I can.

Because I had no static IP, I skipped step 4 Configure The Network Settings on page 3, leaving the system configured to get the IP address with DHCP (I DID turn off the firewall, tho).

On advice from Till Brehm on this forum, I commented out line 48 of /etc/apache2/ssl-global.conf
    Code:
    SSLSessionCache		shmcb:/var/lib/apache2/ssl__scache(512000)
    which was preventing Apache from starting, after installing installing Apache 2, PHP 5, the Python mod & PHPMyAdmin on page 4.

After commenting out
    Code:
            suPHP_AddHandler application/x-httpd-php
    in configuration file /etc/apache2/conf.d/mod_suphp.conf during step 18 Install SquirrelMail on page 5 I found Apache failed to restart.

Running
    Code:
    # systemctl status apache2.service -l
    produced [inter alia] the information:-
    Line 4 of /etc/apache2/conf.d/squirrelmail.conf has [and continues]:-
    Code:
    php_admin_flag register_globals Off
    php_admin_flag magic_quotes_gpc Off
    php_admin_flag allow_url_include Off
    php_admin_flag allow_url_fopen Off
    php_admin_flag session.use_only_cookies On
    php_admin_flag session.cookie_httponly On
    php_admin_value open_basedir "/srv/www/htdocs/sqirrelmail:/var/lib/squirrelmail:/usr/share/php5/PEAR:/tmp"
    </Directory>
    I guess that if Line 4 can be commented then all the lines using php_admin_flag would have to be commented.

Can anybody advise me? Is there a missing module?

TIA

rupertrealbear

2. srijan

srijan New Member HowtoForge Supporter

3. rupertrealbear

Thanks srijan

I commented out all the "php_admin_flag . . . " lines in /etc/apache2/conf.d/squirrelmail.conf and successfully restarted Apache.

Falko's post (12th March 2013, 17:21) also advised to check the mod_php is enabled. It turns out that part of the output from
    Code:
    systemctl status apache2.service
    included the line:-
    Code:
    Module "mod_php" is not installed, ignoring
    Do you think I can ignore that, too? yast2 >software management > apache includes, under [Dependencies][View][Configuration][Extras]:-
    Code:
    apache2-mod_php5 - PHP5 Module for Apache 2.0
    I don't really know how to get hold of mod_php if it is absent and needed (would I have to re-install Apache?)

Regards

rupertrealbrear

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

mod_php is required and it is instaled in chapter 10 of the perfect server guide that you linked above.

please rerun:

Code:
    zypper install php5-bcmath php5-bz2 php5-calendar php5-ctype php5-curl php5-dom php5-ftp php5-gd php5-gettext php5-gmp php5-iconv php5-imap php5-ldap php5-mbstring php5-mcrypt php5-mysql php5-odbc php5-openssl php5-pcntl php5-pgsql php5-posix php5-shmop php5-snmp php5-soap php5-sockets php5-sqlite php5-sysvsem php5-tokenizer php5-wddx php5-xmlrpc php5-xsl php5-zlib php5-exif php5-fastcgi php5-pear php5-sysvmsg php5-sysvshm ImageMagick curl apache2-mod_php5
    to ensure that php is enabled, run these two commands:

a2enmod php
    a2enmod php5

one of these will fail as I dont know if the package is named php or php5, but this dont harm. So just run both and then restart apache.

5. rupertrealbear

Hi Till

I reinstalled Apache as you suggested (the command matched the one I did earlier)

I ran:

a2enmod php
    a2enmod php5

and restarted apache.

systemctl status apache2.service -l

gave [inter alia]:-
    Code:
    Module "mod_php" is not installed, ignoring.
    Check the APACHE_MODULES setting in /etc/sysconfig/apache2.
    Module "php" is not installed, ignoring.
    Check the APACHE_MODULES setting in /etc/sysconfig/apache2.
    If it helps, the APACHE_MODULES settings in /etc/sysconfig/apache2 seems to be:-
    Code:
    # your settings
    APACHE_MODULES="actions alias auth_basic authn_file authz_groupfile authz_user autoindex cgi dir env expires include log_config mime negotiation setenvif ssl userdir reqtimeout authn_core authz_core suexec rewrite suphp fcgid dav dav_fs dav_lock logio python mod_fastcgi socache_shmcb php php5"
    Any ideas?

Regards

rupertrealbear

6. rupertrealbear

Hi again, Till

I actually re-installed openSUSE 13.1 and got to the end with very few hiccups.

By running
    Code:
    curl -s checkip.dyndns.org|sed -e 's/.*Current IP Address: //' -e 's/<.*$//'
    I was able to get my public IP from inside openSUSE.

I checked that Apache was running with
    Code:
    systemctl status apache2.service -l
    and it WAS running (with no warnings).

I then tried to connect to my ISPConfig3 with
    Code:
    http://[my public IP]:8080
    and even
    Code:
    https://[my public IP]:8080
    but the webpage was not available.

I am puzzled