The Perfect Setup - Debian Sarge (3.1) Issues

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by krazy1, Nov 8, 2005.

1. krazy1

krazy1 New Member

I have been working my way through the Debian Sarge mail server setup and have run into an issue. When I get to:

Now start saslauthd:

/etc/init.d/saslauthd start

I get the following:

Starting SASL Authentication Deamon: (failed).

I can't figure out why this is failing and I am not sure where to look. I have double checked that I followed the instructions and everything I have matches the instructions. Any help is greatly appreciated.

TIA

2. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

Do you see anything in the mail log (/var/log/mail.log)?

3. inversecow

inversecow New Member

Similar issues with the Ubuntu 5.10 ISP-Server setup

Hello,

I have noticed similar issues with the above mentioned How-to. I have verified all of the conf. files mentioned in the How-to itself, and have been left at a loss. The only error is "Starting SASL Authentication Daemon: (failed)." No entry is made to the mail log (/var/log/mail.log).

That being said, I happened to enter the following in the console and SASL started no problem:

sudo /usr/sbin/saslauthd -m /var/spool/postfix/var/run/saslauthd -a pam

The only thing I can think of is this. Some how during the process of activation, the startup script does not make reference to the "default settings" file (/etc/default/saslauthd), thus it does not pull the needed info to properly execute.

I am happy to get SASL to start, however I am baffled as to why it did not work as expected.

4. falko

Did you try to start saslauthd as root?
    Run
    Code:
    /etc/init.d/saslauthd start
    as root.

5. inversecow

inversecow New Member

Thanks for the quick reply. :)

I tried this as root, and the result was the same(Starting SASL Authentication Daemon: (failed).) Is there a method to produce more verbose error messages within the init.d scripts? Perhaps such would give a direction to move in.

6. falko

Did you follow the Ubuntu tutorial to the letter? Maybe you made a typo somewhere. Please check your settings again (e.g. configuration files, paths, etc.).

7. nenad

nenad Member

Same problem here.
    Starting SASL Authentication Deamon: (failed)

I installed ISPConfig 2.2.2 on two Debian boxes in past 7 days.
    First time ther were no errors.
    Today there are errors.

Only difference between two installs is MySQL 4.0xx and 4.1

8. falko

Make sure you follow the tutorial to the letter. It is working for me like that, and I've used it so many times now to set up servers and never had any problems.
    Maybe you made a typo somewhere.

9. Norman

Norman Member HowtoForge Supporter

Edit. I had the same issues when upgrading from mysql-server 4.0 to 4.1.
    If you cant stop saslauthd verify that it isn't still running

/etc/init.d/saslauthd stop
    If it says "Stopping SASL Authentication Daemon: (not running)."
    then run:
    ps aux|grep sasl

If you get any lines such as:
    root 13413 0.0 0.0 6556 1580 ? Ss 12:20 0:00 /usr/sbin/saslauthd -m /var/spool/postfix/var/run/saslauthd -r -a pam
    root 13414 0.0 0.0 6556 1580 ? S 12:20 0:00 /usr/sbin/saslauthd -m /var/spool/postfix/var/run/saslauthd -r -a pam
    root 13415 0.0 0.0 6556 1580 ? S 12:20 0:00 /usr/sbin/saslauthd -m /var/spool/postfix/var/run/saslauthd -r -a pam
    root 13416 0.0 0.0 6556 1580 ? S 12:20 0:00 /usr/sbin/saslauthd -m /var/spool/postfix/var/run/saslauthd -r -a pam
    root 13417 0.0 0.0 6556 1580 ? S 12:20 0:00 /usr/sbin/saslauthd -m /var/spool/postfix/var/run/saslauthd -r -a pam

issue command:
    killall -9 saslauthd

and then try to run /etc/init.d/saslauthd start
    should return"Starting SASL Authentication Daemon: saslauthd.".

Good luck!

Last edited: May 9, 2006
  10. nenad

nenad Member

Falko, I do not think that anyone is actually typing.
    Why should we? You created very good "copy & paste" manual.

11. falko

So many people make typos when they follow my tutorials so that's the first thing I suspect... ;)