The Perfect Setup - Debian Sarge (3.1)

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by joshuavh, Nov 10, 2005.

1. joshuavh

joshuavh New Member

Hello!

How many of You made installation Debian Sarge based on article published on www.falkotimme.com/howtos/perfect_setup_debian_sarge/index.php
    I mean "dot by dot without thinking", having no supervisor knowledge or skills.
    I'am preparing to installation. Does it really work?
    Postfix, TLS, ?

with regards

Joshua Van Horn

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Yes, it really works. The best way to follow the tutorial is to connect with SSH (e.g. with the Putty client from a windows workstation) to your server after finishing the base installation in the DEBIAN installer and copy the commands line by line. Typing them is more error prone.

3. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

Yes, it does work. You only have to replace the IP address (192.168.0.100) and the hostname (server1.example.com) with your own information. :)

4. hairydog2

hairydog2 New Member

Yes. I did a test install on a spare PC and all went well - till the HDD failed the next day (now I remember why that disc wasn't in use).

So I got brave and installed it on the live server. This was not a clean install: it is a User Mode Linux machine, and I had to make a few changes, but even then I managed.

The clean install was dead easy, but for one big proviso: it isn't typo friendly. Make an error towards the end and you may have to start again from the beginning. This is particularly true of the ISPConfig bit of the installation.

5. joshuavh

joshuavh New Member

It Really Works!

Hello Till, Falko and other great users !

I did it dot by dot using as You said Putty (ctrl C + ctrl V). It really works and I'm testing now.

besides

www.falkotimme.com/howtos/perfect_setup_debian_sarge/index.php
    The Perfect Setup - Debian Sarge (3.1)
    is the really perfect prepered perscription of using Debian and TLS with Postfix. Really great deal!
    I'am keeping the cross for next issue and for this news group.

with regards

Joshua Van Horn

6. hairydog2

hairydog2 New Member

It worked fine for me, on a clean install. It was a bit of a scary experience, but all went according to plan. Do use copy and paste rather than typing in details: it's hard to tell l from 1 in the "perfect setup" as seen on screen or on paper.

But that was just a test. The live server was a UML setup with a different base configuration, and I had to go back and add a few prerequisite packages after the "Perfect" setup followed by the ISPConfig setup fell over.

One thing to be very careful of is to get everything right. For example, near the end ISPConfig install asks for the mysql root password - I made a typo, and it don't say "error: try again" - it fell over and I had to start again.

7. christopher

christopher New Member

Perfect Document

Yes, it worked for me on Ububtu 5.10 (Debian variant) perfectly.