TODO List?

Discussion in 'Developers' Forum' started by Spum, Oct 19, 2005.

1. Spum

Spum New Member

Well, i dont know where to post, so i'll just put one here;

Support
    • PostgreSQL
    • Firebird
    • Other RDBMS's
    • Coldfusion?
    • ASP/ASP.NET (ApacheASP.. I think it was called)
    • Ruby
    • Perl / CGI
    • HULA :D
    • Qmail
    Note: postgreSQL, Firebird and Perl are already being worked on for the automated installer!

I'll look into the others, like coldfusion, ASP.Net/ASP for compatibility with apache. As for ruby, mod_ruby looks pretty good.

Features
    • Virtuozzo/Fantastico Style Webapp management/installation.
    • Crontab Management?
    • Billing / Accounts Management
    • Paypal Integration / Nochex / etc

Extensions (Eg - of existing functions, and so on)
    • User rights management[/I] - Assign specific permissions for users and user groups.

Delete if some already exist :D

Plesk's feature list
    http://www.swsoft.com/en/products/plesk7/details/

cPanel's feature list
    http://www.cpanel.net/features-cpanel.html

Err... enjoy..! :cool:

Last edited: Oct 29, 2005
  2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Looks good :)

I think there are also some general decisions on how ISPConfig works, to make the next release moe scalable with support for multiple servers in one controlpanel, virtual mailusers etc. Ive posted my ideas here:

http://www.howtoforge.com/forums/showthread.php?t=909

I will have a look at the feature lists from cpanel and ensm. I think directadmin is also quite popular the in the last year:

http://www.directadmin.com/features.html

What do you prefer, an navigation on the left for the different functions like adding users etc. or the style of cpanel wit icons in the middle of the page?

Last edited: Oct 19, 2005
  3. Spum

Spum New Member

I think we should just go with Smarty, then have a default killer skin. Maybe put some word out on SF for a graphical designer, so we could have a great look like everaldo.com or whatever..

But yeah, um ; to all developers; Please, if wanting to take up or edit a task, edit this post and add your developer/name to next to the bullet point .. Eg [ Spum, till, etc ].

Also, i'm working on a page that shows comparisons between cPanel, Plesk and ISPconfig. for now, i'm just leaving it at that so we can get a GENERAL outline of what features we're missing.

Once we've got that, we can just generally brainstorm ideas as to features which would be useful, with of course, the focus being put on user confort and ease of use.

But yep, with that, we'll also have a TODO list of sorts, so then i can get cracking ;-). With a bit of elbow grease, and a few months, we can steer this mighty ship to the shores of cPanel..

Arr, there we pillage, plunder and tear asunder all that we see, and then bury the treasure under ye olde x-marks-the spot. then ye shall rejoice under the blue flag of ISPconfig :)

</pirate>

ehehehe

4. till

I dont think smarty is a good choice, much too bloated. Smarty puts too much logic in the templates.

The vlib templating system used in the new backend is fast, has caching and compiling to php source, also if statements, loops and includes.

5. Spum

Spum New Member

Sounds neat, i'm just working with what i know, which is nice if we find faster stuff :) I'm an old fashioned C++ jockey , ehehehe ;-)

6. yayien

yayien New Member

I would work on scripts which do the pre-install on many distrib (debian, fedora, freebsd..) and later why not integrate ASP and Java support (with tomcat..)
    But if you want me to do other things ... no problem it were just some ideas

PS: I think that C++ would be a better choice so as to have better perfs..

7. till

For the backend daemon maybe? I think for the frontend PHP is a good choice.

If we use a mysql based configuration for most daemons / services, the backend daemon (runs as root) will have to handle only the file based apache configuration, the initial creation of the website directories and the management of the shell users. I think it should handle only the functions where root priviliges are absolutely nescessary.

8. Spum

Spum New Member

No real need for C++, unless we're going to be expressly using OOP and the other benefits of it.. For a simple app, C works absolutely fine..

Besides, there's no real need to further abstract the process.. If we start having daemons here, PHP here and bash scripts here, then there's gonna be a real mish-mash of code that'll sing as harmoniously as a sewage pipe :/

9. till

Can you coordinate you work with Spum, he has started the work on a better installer for ISPConfig?

10. yayien

yayien New Member

No problem I contact he now... And I would now if you were interested in an OpenBSD version because I work on debian/OpenBSD and I know those two OS

11. till

A BSD version (OpenBSD or FreeBSD) will be a great enhacement. Older versions of ISPConfig had supported the 4.x line of FreeBSD so you might find already some code for FreeBSD in ISPConfig :)