Trouble Creating Email Account

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by samuch, Aug 7, 2009.

1. samuch

samuch New Member

So I created a website for say, testtestlongdomainname.com. I then created the email domain but accidentally typed it as testestlongdomainname.com (missing one of the letters) and then created an email account for it.

After realizing this error, I deleted the email domain and re-created it. But, the account does not work. I took a look and noticed that in the /var/vmail/testtestlongdomainname.com folder there is not a subfolder for the email account created.

It looks like ispconfig is not properly creating the email account for some reason. I'm not sure if this is because the domain name is so long, or because I orginally typo'ed the domain name. How can I manually get this account created while this is looked into?

For clarification on length, the real domain name is 22 characters plus .com (I know, it's long but I didn't recommend it.

Thanks in advance. We just moved this user to our new ispconfig 3 server so they're freaking out.

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

There is a known problem maildirmake command which hangs sometimes when a email account is created in ispconfig 3.0.1.3 which has been fixed in svn already and will be fixed in 3.0.1.4

3. samuch

samuch New Member

Thank you for the reply. However, I'm already running 3.0.1.4. I also ran ispconfig_update_from_svn.sh just in case it would help. Any thoughts on how I can manually fix this or what I can look at?

4. till

5. samuch

samuch New Member

I set the debug and restarted Apache. I then deleted the mailbox and created again. Here's what I see in the system-log:

Code:
    2009-08-08 07:17  	our.sever.com  	Debug  	Created Maildir: su -c 'maildirmake -q 104857600S /var/vmail/longdomainname.com/ed' vmail  	
    2009-08-08 07:17 	our.server.com 	Debug 	Set ownership on /var/vmail/longdomainname.com/ed 	
    2009-08-08 07:17 	our.server.com 	Debug 	Call function 'user_insert' in plugin 'mail_plugin' raised by event 'mail_user_insert'. 	
    2009-08-08 07:17 	our.server.com 	Debug 	Processed datalog_id 258

Then when I check that directory, still nothing.

Code:
    ls
    our:/var/vmail/longdomainname.com # ls
    our:/var/vmail/longdomainname.com # 

6. till

Please post the output of:

ls -la /var/vmail/longdomainname.com

7. samuch

samuch New Member

Code:
    our:/var/vmail/longdomainname.com # ls -la /var/vmail/longdomainname.com/
    total 8
    drwx------  2 vmail vmail 4096 2009-08-07 06:31 .
    drwxr-xr-x 12 vmail vmail 4096 2009-08-07 06:29 ..
    our:/var/vmail/longdomainname.com # 

8. till

Thats strange. Please run the following commands as root user and then post the ls -la again:

su vmail
    maildirmake /var/vmail/longdomainname.com/ed
    exit

any errors in the above command?

9. samuch

samuch New Member

Well, I don't know what could have changed but I do have an error with maildirmake now. For reference, this is OpenSuSE 11.1.

Code:
    our:/var/vmail/longdomainname.com # su vmail
    vmail@our:~/longdomainname.com> maildirmake /var/vmail/longdomainname.com/ed

Program 'maildirmake' is present in package 'courier-imap', which is installed on your system.

Absolute path to 'maildirmake' is '/usr/bin/maildirmake'. Please check your $PATH variable to see whether it contains the mentioned path.

bash: maildirmake: command not found
    vmail@our:~/clongdomainname.com> exit
    exit

10. till

Ok, this explains the problems. The question is now why your path variable does not contain /usr/bin anymore or why the maildirmake command disappeared.

Please post the output of:

su vmail
    echo $PATH
    exit

and

ls -la /usr/bin/maildirmake

and if it is not found by ls post:

which maildirmake

11. till

And please post the content of the file:

/etc/bash.bashrc

and the output of:

ls -la /var/vmail/*

12. samuch

samuch New Member

Code:
    su vmail
    vmail@web:~/longdomainname.com> echo $PATH
    /opt/mono-1.2.6/bin:/usr/lib64/mpi/gcc/openmpi/bin:/root/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/bin/X11:/usr/X11R6/bin:/usr/games:/usr/lib64/jvm/jre/bin:/usr/lib/mit/bin:/usr/lib/mit/sbin
    vmail@web:~/longdomainname.com> exit
    exit
    web:/var/vmail/longdomainname.com # ls -la /usr/bin/maildirmake
    ls: cannot access /usr/bin/maildirmake: No such file or directory
    web:/var/vmail/longdomainname.com # which maildirmake
    which: no maildirmake in (/opt/mono-1.2.6/bin:/usr/lib64/mpi/gcc/openmpi/bin:/sbin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/sbin:/root/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/bin/X11:/usr/X11R6/bin:/usr/games:/usr/lib64/jvm/jre/bin:/usr/lib/mit/bin:/usr/lib/mit/sbin)

13. till

Then the maildirmake program must have been deleted on your system. As the error message states that maildirmake is part of the courier-imap package, you will have to reinstall the courier-imap package to get maildirmake again or check at the opensuse repository if the package is available as separate download.

14. samuch

samuch New Member

Well, I don't know how that would have been removed but reinstalling courier-imap fixed it. Strange thing is, I had other email accounts on there that were created and functioning just fine.

So in the end thanks again for your help, Till. You saved the day once more!