Ubuntu 22.04 : unusual pop-up window on ssh update/upgrade

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by Keoz, Nov 14, 2022.

1. Keoz

Keoz Member

OPERATING FRAMEWORK
    Hosting provider : OVH
    Machine : remote VPS
    OS distro : Ubuntu 22.04 LTS
    User : superuser with sudo rights
    Terminal : MacBook Air

Hello,

At first update/upgrade of Ubuntu 22.04 installed on remote VPS, my terminal displays such this pop-up message :
    [​IMG]
    Having no idea about “Which services should be restarted“ among those listed, and no idea about what is the challenge of choosing to restart one or the other from this pop-up, I did let the choice as default and taped enter.

/// Q1 ///
    Doesn’t Ubuntu 22.04 automatically notify allowed ssh users when a service need a restart (like Ubuntu 20.04 was doing) ?

/// Q2 ///
    Should I be confident to this answer found on Stack overflow plateform ?
    If yes, default setting being - #$nrconf{restart} = 'i'; (interactive mode) - what should it be changed to, in purpose to prevent the pop-up message from appearing at each “apt“ command, and to secure all “apt“ command usages and operations ?
    • $nrconf{restart} = 'a';
    • $nrconf{restart} = 'l';
    /// Q3 ///
    If no, has anyone already faced this pop-up message, and can advise me about what may be best to do in such case ?

Regards

Last edited: Nov 15, 2022
  2. ahrasis

ahrasis Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

I guess that is a good answer for now. Currently in Ubuntu 22.04 I run "export DEBIAN_FRONTEND=noninteractive" before running any other things but this might not be the best solution.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2022
  3. pyte

pyte Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

This is a simple message from apt, to tell you that during an update libraries got updated that a service(the ones listed) depend on. APT ist asking you which services you want to restart now, to make use of the new libraries instead of keep them running with the old ones. You can simple choose which services you can afford to restart or ignore it alltogether with cancle. If you just cancel it the services will use the new libraries on it's next restart or reboot of the system.